Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled newt larvae care

jordanyukio

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to the forum and is seeking extra care tips on my marbled newt larvae. i have around 50-60 eggs i purchased and they are all devoloping well. any tips would be greatly appreciated

ndbug

Reaction score
Hi jordan! Welcome to the forum, here you'll meet a huge and wide spread community of Caudata enthusiasts! Your number one priority should be doing all the research you can! Read Read and Read some more! Also you should do some searches to find pictures of newt development from egg to adult! I've included a few links that may answer some of your questions. Hope it helps! and Good Luck!
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus Southern marbled newt videos, photos and facts - Triturus pygmaeus | ARKive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triturus#Egg_deposition_and_development

shnabo

Reaction score
The basics:

- keep cool, around 16-20 degrees seems to work well for me for development
- keep the water clean, always. Do whatever it takes for that to happen. For me I dechlorinate water and let it sit in a bucket with an air stone for a week. I mix in some cycles tank water before leaving for the week.
- you need a constant supply of microfoods for at least the first few weeks - bbs and black worms chopped up seem to be the 'industry standard'
- when they get to around 2 inches they will likely be approaching morph. Some people raise the temperature and or decrease water level to do so, I like to let it happen naturally.
- when they are approaching morph, a slanted land portion that is big enough and easily accessible so they can climb out
- transition to feeding on land (see forums)

otolith

Reaction score
First off congrats! They are a great species and a lot of fun to raise. Everything Shnabo said is right on. I would add that marmoratus are incredibly water quality sensitive for the first few weeks of development. It is a good idea to have several tubs with 10-20 larvae each rather than all in one large tub. If something goes wrong you won't lose everything. I generally don't do any water changes until the larvae become free swimming and rear legs begin to bud. Triturus in general do best with aged, established water rather than dechlorinated tap. I generally use water from the adult tank for water changes. Since this doesn't sound like it is an available option for you be sure to have several buckets of dechlorinated water aging.

I like to feed them moina at first rather than bbs because they will stay alive longer and are less prone to messing with the water chemistry. As the larvae age I introduce chopped black worms and daphnia. I always put several oak leaves, java moss and sponge filters in my larvae set ups.

Good luck! You will learn a lot, especially if it is your first year raising newts from eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!