alpine newts won't touch water

geganewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Auzzie M.
just moved my two m.a. apuanus to a new tank and they wouldn't touch the water, so i changed the water and they still won't touch the water, so what wrong with the water?

What were you keeping them in before? What are the water parameters in the tank? Unless the temp is too high, the newts may be avoiding the water because of something else. This species is highly aquatic.

the temp is usually between 60F and 70F, sometimes dipping down to 50 and below when i remember to put the frozen water bottles in. the water is pretty shallow (-2") and there is a pump pumping water down the wall and 1/4 of it is land, there is no filter, all filtration is done by plants

Have you tested the pH or for ammonia and nitrate levels?

no but i've changed the water twice with distilled water, and i forgot to say that they were eating like they normally would, and they both are acting the same except on land

distilled water is a bad idea. Their are no minerals in the water. By osmosis the water will suck the minerals out of the newts. Spring water or dechlorinated tap water is better.

I agree - distilled water is not what you want to use. Is there a reason not to use treated tap water?
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

For future reference, it would have been better to use the water from the old tank in the new tank, then add additional water gradually.

It is good that the newts are still eating. They will probably go back to the water in due time.

i just found my ph tester and apparently the water between 8 and 8.5, is that bad?

sorry to revieve this thread but i've come to let you know that they're back in the water

Distilled water won't suck the minerals from your newt as the membranes of cells won't let minerals through. However water can pass the membranes and will go into the cells. In extreme cases this can cause cells to rupture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back