Tiger Salamander not Eating

Ikim919

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys,
I'm new here and I recently signed up because I was hoping the community may have some answers as to why my tiger salamander has not been eating lately.
- Eastern Tiger Salamander
- Substrate: Soil/Coco-substrate mix
- Temp: 60-70F
- Diet: Nightcrawlers, primarily
I've had my tiger salamander for some time now, about 4 months, and until now, he has been healthy and happy. At around the same time (6:30) every other day I would feed Buddy (My sal) a nightcrawler or two. He would usually be waiting for me by the time I got there, whether it is in his water dish or with his head poking out of his burrow. There was no signs of stress when I was near him, and he seemed very eager to eat whenever I was around. About a week ago, he escaped his enclosure without me knowing until two days later. At the time I thought nothing of it because he usually hides himself away for a while after a big meal. However, after a frantic search though all the soil and my basement, I found him in a shoe covered in dust. I immediately put him in some water and let him familiarize himself with his former home. Since then, he has slept only in his burrow and refused to eat anything I offered him, shaking his head when I put a worm near his head. He also seems to be digging more, not necessarily under ground but just leaving a trail where ever he goes. The temperature hasn't changed recently, staying at around 65 degrees Fahrenheit and there is no moss in the enclosure.
I'm getting quite worried about him; he hasn't eaten for over a week now and although he hasn't lost any weight, this is very unlike him. He has always been eager to eat and has very tried to escape before.
Thank you for reading and I'm eager to hear your responses.

Greetings!

Have you tried feeding crickets for a week or two? One of mine will occasionally refuse worms but devour crickets. In regards to the digging, I haven't a clue unfortunately. Hopefully he is still recovering from the explorations. There is also a tiger salamander specific section that might have some similar questions to look through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back