Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies laid eggs

macadacious

Reaction score
So yesterday my wild axie laid about 200-300 eggs, its my first time dealing with axolotl eggs lol and i have noticed that the eggs were half white and half black when she layed them, once i transferred them into a tub using a turkey baster with some water from the tank and i put a thermometer in it and called it a night. Today when i got home i noticed the eggs have turned black. Is that a bad sign? Cause ive seen development pics online and the eggs hatching are white and not half and half or black like mine. Also the 2nd picture i took it before i went to work she laid those eggs last night, the 3rd pic i took just now and theres 2 eggs in the middle and it looks like powder inside those eggs? What could it be lol

http://imgur.com/gallery/9YnqKdR

Viking

Reaction score
You should worry about the eggs getting white and fuzzy. The jelly should stay clear in good eggs. Also the shape of yolk changes as they develop. The dark part albinos will be white) usually is the developing embryo. They bean (oblong instead of round) after a few days. Remember the angle can be misleading. The next stage is c shaped. Just before hatching you see the eyes and gills. The eggs will be close to size of marbles. Most batches will have a mix of colors. Most of the time most of the eggs are good.

Yesterday some my young Spanish ribbed newts spawned for their first time. I am watching the eggs to see if they are good.

Last edited:

macadacious

Reaction score
You should worry about the eggs getting white and fuzzy. The jelly should stay clear in good eggs. Also the shape of yolk changes as they develop. The dark part albinos will be white) usually is the developing embryo. They bean (oblong instead of round) after a few days. Remember the angle can be misleading. The next stage is c shaped. Just before hatching you see the eyes and gills. The eggs will be close to size of marbles. Most batches will have a mix of colors. Most of the time most of the eggs are good.

Yesterday some my young Spanish ribbed newts spawned for their first time. I am watching the eggs to see if they are good.

Ive seen some eggs white and fuzzy while transferring them to the tub, but most are black ontop and white under in clear jelly. Oh okay i see, what temperature do you suggest the eggs stay at? Theyre on a table in my room sitting between 16-17c. Sounds good ill keep an eye out for that. Just for now im just doing daily water changes with a mix of the tank water and dechlorinated water. Hope they turn out good! This is the new tub i put the eggs in.
http://imgur.com/gallery/gu2VaFx

Oh really thats awesome they did! I hope they turn out good!

Viking

Reaction score
I would just put them in the tank you want to raise the babies. For that many eggs either a ten or twenty long. You should not need to change water until after they hatch and start feeding. If you want you can put an air line to keep the water oxygenated. One or two inches (2.5-5cm) of water. It keep the food (baby brine shrimp) close. You gradually deepen the water as they grow. In a couple weeks they become quite skilled swimmers. As for temperature up to 22 C should be fine.

macadacious

Reaction score
I dont have another tank atm. i just have some tubs for em, and oh okay cool ill leave the water as is then. And by airlines you mean the air stone? And oh okay sounds good thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!