New setup for my pair of Triturus carnifex

discoferret

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello here are some pic of my new setup for my sexed pair of Triturus carnifex which are arriving next week. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• Newt_setup_1.JPG
    Newt_setup_1.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 3,777
  • Newt_setup_2.JPG
    Newt_setup_2.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,181
It looks good do you have a filter in it

I was told that it wouldnt be necessary for this species of newt as they like calm waters.I was told As long as I do weekly percentage change of the water, they should be fine. Do you think I should have one?

I would. They produce alot of waste.
You could get a small filter, or something with a variable outflow. You can quite easily get good filtration with minimal disturbance to the water.

Nice setup, though. Simple but effective. My only suggestion would be to add some cover to the land area. You could do this with a simple piece of cork bark or terracotta pot. If your adventurous a small terrestial plant.
I've done a few similar setups, the easiest way to get a plant in would be to pot it into a jam jar(some poly for drainage, compost then your plant) then bury it up to the rim in your substrate. A leafy Fern like plant would suit the habitat and provide your newt some shade on the land.
My local Tesco sells a variety of small houseplants(a ferny type one, a couple of type of Ivy like plants, some more tropical looking and a red thing I've yet to identify) at 97p each I've found them immensly helpfull for similar projects.
You just have to be carefull you dont water log the jar.

Last edited:
The tank looks nice but i'd agree that a cork hide on the land wouldn't go amiss. Also, be careful of them escaping...i always build wooden frames with fine mesh to go in all my tanks...newts are great at escaping.
As for a filter, i wouldn't use one. Just do partial water changes and siphon out any waste etc.

Hi Discoferret, is that gravel on the bottom? Looks a little small, they might be able to swallow it. Also looks like it would be really hard to clean with all that gravel in there. I used brown silicone and stuck a thin layer on part of the bottom of my tank for looks.

Thanks for all your comments. I can see that from who ive spoken to that its roughly 50% on if I should use a filtter. Might go down local aquarium shop to see if they can help me on chosen a suitable filter. I was going to get a bit of bark or something so they could hide anyway, but I do like the sound of the plant. Will go down tescos to see what they have. Thanks again everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back