Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is A good setup for chinese firebelly newts ?

Lasher

Reaction score
You'll need to be a little more specific in your question.
I would say a tank at least 5 gallons per newt(a minimum of 10), water at least 4 or 5 inchs deep. Substrate should be large enough the newt cant accidently ingest any during feeding. Good filtration, but little water movement. There should be at least some land area with plenty of hides, both on the land and in the water. Temperature should be kept low, and cleaning easy.
Plants, while not nescasery, can help maintain water quality, looks pleasent and help maintain a healthy viv.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
For my CFB, I give it at least 6 inches of water-give or take a few inches. I use a filter, but not anything that causes a lot of current, they prefer more still water. As for substrate, If using gravel or pebbles, like said above, make sure they are too big for your newt to swallow. I have found that very fine sand works even better, if ingested it won't cause any problems and it makes it easier for live plants to root. I use pool filter sand ( which can be bought at many pool supply stores). Hope this helps!:D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A picture paints a thousand words... check out the pictures in the Gallery section of this forum, and in the articles section of Caudata Culture (link in my sig line). If you have specific questions about any ideas you have for a setup, ask away

marco

Reaction score
tanks size depends on how many your keeping, main requirements besides the obvious stuff like filtration and correct heating is things like hiding places and either large pebbles or a fine sand as your substrate, besides that, things like floating plants and submerged bog wood seem to create a more dynamic enviroment and stimulates foraging activity.

your best of doing a quick scribble of what you want your tank to look like and use that as a foundation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1