Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

paddletail setup

Triton

Reaction score
I recently got a paddletail newt P.Labiatus I have never cared for this species before only blue spotteds, they are terrestrial and I wondered what kind of setup would be best. I understand they come from a moving water environment is this important to simulate. please share your setups and ideas.

IanF

Reaction score
Hello, The newts require at least 30 litres each, a sand substrate would do, alot of hides, and current wise a moderatly powerful filter would do I think. Here's a link anyway www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml , good luck.

Last edited:

Lasher

Reaction score
A Paddletail was my first ever newt, threads like this one always make me kind of nostalgic.

I would recommend a 10 gal tank as an absolute minimum(I know many people say 5 to 10) as you may be suprised at the size a healthy individual can achieve and they're quite active.
One thing I cant stress enough is that paddletails are not community animals, they are very aggressive and territorial, even with fish. I personaly am not against species mixing overall, just not with this species.

Currents can be achieved with a filter, depending on what your using, or a small submersible pump, depending on how much money/effort you want to put into it. I eventualy kept my first one in a long tank with pump, tubing and a cork bark structure so there was a still pool and a constant gentle current.

Provide hides and decoration so it can conceal itself, they rarely leave the water if healthy but you should give it the option. A floating island or just some wood protruding from the water is sufficient, chances are it wont be used. I used piles of large rocks and split cork bark curls.

I've found floating plants to be best as paddletails are quite strong and I've had them kill/dig up rooted plants. Java moss, elodea, milfoil and the like are all suitable.

Triton

Reaction score
Thank you both for the info, I do have a power filter and a 20 gallon deep aquarium. Should be more than enough for my single newt.

Lasher

Reaction score
It should indeed. In a deep tank I'd suggest piles of driftwood and rocks to allow your newt easy access to the surface.

Triton

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion i took it to heart and made a pile of large flat rocks with one slanting down for easier access to the surface.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1