New axi fresh setup is this fungus?

masokiss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my baby came from the pet shop today. He's in a new set up that has been cycled and matured for over a week. When i viewed him in the store he was with one other tank mate and looked ok though there was pebbles on the tank floor and under gravel filtration with no hiding places,plants etc.

Anyway my other half went to pick him up today and he's come home looking a little sorry for himself. He has this white thing going on. I've seen some pictures of baby axis on here with similar markings but i'm not sure if i'm dealing with a fungal infection here.

please help x

Attachments

• DSC00733.jpg
    DSC00733.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC00745.jpg
    DSC00745.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00746.jpg
    DSC00746.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 204
By the looks of it I'd say that its just his markings. I have a golden axie and he has silvery white markings through his tail aswell, so I dont think its anything to worry about.

That looks like his markings to me. I have a golden albino axolotl with markings like that on his tail. If they appear to be raised and fluffy or fuzzy, which they don't from the photo, fungus is more likely.

Looks like his markimgs to me also.
One quick question though.
You say your tank has been cycled and mature for over a week.
How did you cycle your tank and for how long?
I only ask as now your axie is in there you will have to monitor the water closely as it is likely to cycle again with the bio-load.

Hi massokiss, Welcome to the site

I'm with the rest thats its markings. Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information about all things axolotl

Good Luck

Looks like his markimgs to me also.
One quick question though.
You say your tank has been cycled and mature for over a week.
How did you cycle your tank and for how long?
I only ask as now your axie is in there you will have to monitor the water closely as it is likely to cycle again with the bio-load.

Hi sorry took so long to get back. The tank was setup with borrowed water,plants and other bits from my long established 350 liter cold water tank. I shoved my trusty goldfish in there to get the cycle going and it was pretty much perfect parameter wise for when the babies came home :D

I noticed while searching on a thread that uou keep freshwater clams with your guys. A lot of people seem to be against it but i was thinking of getting one (8cm) and a few guppies to keep my fells entertained/fed. What dya think?

I remember Frances (digger) saying she keeps clams I think in another post. You could always pm her and ask. I don't think she will mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back