Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Salamanader and Silica Play Sand

salada

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've had my eastern tiger salamander since July. I'm sort of new. I was wondering if using washed Silica Play Sand is safe for her? I've read a few posts on axies about it but i'm not sure if its the same thing. I don't have a problem with her eatting her bedding like some people do as i've read. All answers are appreciated!

Niels D

Reaction score
I don't think it's suitable when you want to use it in a terrestrial setup. The sand really sticks to your salamanders skin (personal observation). Do they sell potting soil made (only) out of coco husk fibres? I use that, because it's cheap and they sell it in large quantities.

salada

Reaction score
the only kind they have near me has slow release fertilizer balls in it and i don't feel right using it and the other soil has syrofoam in it. I thought the Sand would be nice because it's very fine ( it dissolves in water) and it is very moist. My room tends to stay really dry so i'm just trying to find something to keep it's moisture so she won't dry out because she's not a fan of getting in her water bowl.
thank you for your answer!

salada

Reaction score
and i know this sounds bad but i can't afford the husk they sell near me at the moment :(
i just want her to be safe and comfortable

Niels D

Reaction score
That's too bad, because the soil I'm talking about is just as good (maybe better) than that the husk sold at the pet store but way more affordable. Maybe you can find some on the internet or at another store. Potting soil with fertilezer must be avoided indeed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!