Question: What live plants can I add to my axolotl tank?

dklagesse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard that Java Moss is good, but what other plants may I place inside my tank? I understand that they could be torn up by the axies, but that doesn't bother me.. besides that are there any problems?

I've heard that they would have to be low-lighting plants, but I've also seen tank set-ups that have an abundance of plants and lighting, so I'm not too sure.

I don't have any axolotls yet. I've just started setting my tank up. I've only done fish tank set-ups before, but I'm assuming it's a similar start up. First I add the substrate, then some water, then plants, more water and I finally let it filter for about 2 months. (I wait so that my plants have a chance to grow and get comfortable as well.)

I've read about the hazards of gravel substrate; I'm thinking about river rocks - larger than the head, which I'm not too sure about the size...

I guess I've read about how to set-up, but I want to be 100% sure about doing this right. I'd hate to have misunderstood and end up torturing my (future) axolotls.

Thank you!!
-Danie from TX

you could use anacharis (also known as elodea). It grows pretty fast under low light.

Honestly you're best off with sand or bare bottom. Large river rocks can trap poop and all sorts which can lead to water problems and like you already stated - gravel is hazardous, even rocks you think they won't swallow, they actually might.

Moss, hard grass, hornwort and anubias have done well in my tank. I also had cambomba (not sure about the spelling) which looked great but eventually died.. I find that plants that have thicker stems do well in my tank.

Here's a pic of mine. I don't know all the names of them but might look familiar in your LFS.

P.s if you're thinking of using plant fertilizer do A LOT of research . Most are deadly to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 25,105
Thanks for the plant ideas! I would like to have a variety of plants in the tank..

I was going to go with sand, but since it is a cause of worry for my beardie - I don't use sand with my beardie since she likes to taste the sand and that could lead to impaction...

Is eating the sand not a problem with axolotls?

I haven't used fertilizers before, so I don't plan to use them this time either. But thank you for the warning!

I'm still going through trial and errors with my tank. My axies love that cambomba but they rip it up too much in their desire to rub themselves all over, so I guess it depends on your axolotls personalities!

Sand can be a problem if ingested too much, I've inspected their poop plenty of times and there's nothing in them, but that's probably because I hand feed them. This causes them to look up for food instead of snapping at the ground and swallowing sand. My sand is also not at all sharp it looks pretty rounded.

Children's play sand is pretty safe as it's not too course if ingested, but obviously not eating the sand would be great, so hand feeding or via feeding jar will fix that problem!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back