Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How many Axies can i fit in this tank?

Jawdoss

Reaction score
My tank size is:
41cm w
82cm h
124.4cm l

(415 Liters, 91 Gallons)

I already have two axies (6inches) in there. How many could i fit in?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Usually for 1 axolotl it's about 10-15 gallons then each axolotl after that another 10.

For the first axolotl it's good to have a bit more than 10 to accommodate for hides, plants and swimming space.

So you could have around 8 or so but I personally think having less than the maximum you can have, just so they have a very very comfy tank and can minimize possible nippings. People on here do say 2 hides per axolotl so that's quite a few hides for 8 axolotls if you choose that many.

If I had that tank is maybe get 6 max but that's my preference

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Usually for 1 axolotl it's about 10-15 gallons then each axolotl after that another 10.

For the first axolotl it's good to have a bit more than 10 to accommodate for hides, plants and swimming space.

So you could have around 8 or so but I personally think having less than the maximum you can have, just so they have a very very comfy tank and can minimize possible nippings. People on here do say 2 hides per axolotl so that's quite a few hides for 8 axolotls if you choose that many.

If I had that tank is maybe get 6 max but that's my preference
I was going to put 5 or so in :3
How big should the hides be? i only have two in there and they are pots that i cut in half, so they can fit about two in each pot (i know they shouldn't share.

I also have plans to make a platform for my axies, by this i mean:
A second story in the tank (Only half the size of the tank) allowing the axies to climb up on there and walk around on top (still under the water) and that leaves the space under the platform for hides! :) Thoughts? Good ideas of how to make hides?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Five would be great! They'd be loving life in that huge tank :}

Make sure the pots aren't sharp! You can find a lot of ceramic hides at pet shops just be weary that it is a) not sharp - run a stocking a long it to see if it snags b) no little holes they can get limbs stuck c) doesn't move - they can snap at it or get hurt by it clamping down (referring to bubblers) and d) aquarium safe!

In my tank I have a little terracotta pot with plant rooted to it, smooth drift wood and a 3 pipe pyramid. I'm still waiting to make a small shelf hide thing (two small rocks x-distance apart with a smooth flat top on it). The shelves are also a good idea! I'm waiting on some materials to start making them.

I've seen mugs, teapots, driftwood and PVC pipes used too which is pretty cute! Have a browse in the "picture of your tank" thread for loads of inspiration.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would say that 5 is ideal, 8 is too many.
Although it would appear that 90+ gal can house 8 comfortably, the tank is deep rather than long. So if you consider that the floor area is 120x40 cm it's really only big enough for 4 or 5.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
I would say that 5 is ideal, 8 is too many.
Although it would appear that 90+ gal can house 8 comfortably, the tank is deep rather than long. So if you consider that the floor area is 120x40 cm it's really only big enough for 4 or 5.

This off topic but; I am very, very jealous that you have a male wild type. I want one so badly!!!! :3 heheheh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!