Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Expanding (tank depth?)

Hollystark

Reaction score
Through a combination of my partner, two daring (read:end of semester giveaway) rescues from a college bio lab, and a whole lot of unexpected babies, I ended up receiving a baby axolotl, just over two years ago. His name is Mulder.

He went from this:
hollystark-albums-mulder-s-first-six-months-picture22133-one-actually-definitely-mulder-about-one-month-picture-courtesy-koryos.jpg

To this:
hollystark-albums-mulder-s-first-six-months-picture22142-begging-food.jpg

To a smallish, very frilly adult.

After two years, I'm redoing his tank, planting a lot of honest-to-God biological plants, and thinking about maybe getting a second Axolotl. I had him in a 20 gallon long for the last year, and I just got a 29 gallon tall from my neighbor, which seems awfully deep, comparatively. It has the same footprint as the 20 gal, it's just six inches deeper. It's the same depth as a 20 gal tall, which my partner has their two girls in with little problem, but I was wondering if I should get an airstone or something; some way to get more O2 into the water?

Also, for two or three axolotls, what do you guys use in terms of tank proportions?

This is the setup so far. The lefthand side is entirely planted with bulbs, so it should fill in.

auntiejude

Reaction score
That link doesn't work - can you post the picture here?

Generally a tank should be wide instead of deep, as axies walk along the bottom of the tank most of the time.

A 29gal would be ideal for 2 axies, I think 3 would be pushing it if it's deep instead of wide. Axies don't mind it deep, they will still get to the surface for air when they want. Most people have an airstone, axies seem to like playing in the bubbles, but it's not an essential and you have to be careful of too much current.

layna

Reaction score
If its deeper id consider using silicone to add another 'half level' to the tank so the axies can swim up and have another level to wander around on :D
like this:
--------------

-------

--------------

Alternatively you could use suction cup shower caddies to the same effect, just an idea hehe

Hollystark

Reaction score
hollystark-albums-mulder-s-new-setup-picture31779-first-day-15-bulbs-planted-plus-random-plant-old-tank.jpg

That's posted to my albums here, hopefully it'll work.

Thanks! I don't know that I would get two more, so this should probably be fine then : )

I like the shower caddy idea a lot, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!