Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT: I think my juvenile axolotl swallowed a pebble!

mialeonard

Reaction score
Thank you so much for clicking on my post! I feel horrible and desperately need help.

Last week, I adopted two 8 months old axolotls. Archibald is a 4 inches long leucistic, and Alistair is 3 inches long (apparently, he/she is that small because her previous owner didn't feed him/her properly.) Alistair also had all her arms and legs bitten off when I adopted her, so she's quite weak and has a hard time swimming around. I've been feeling really sad about her ever since the adoption.

When I got them, I didn't know that axolotls should never live in aquariums with regular fish gravel, so I installed them with pebbles that range from approximately 10 mm in length and 2 mm in width to 12 mm in length and 10 mm. Of course, as soon as I read that they could swallow them, I removed them all... Since yesterday, they're living without substrate. I feel so guilty and scared, and I believe they both swallowed at least one pebble.

I'm especially worried about Alistair, the smallest one, because she's already very weak and seems to be floating around in a rather strange way. She also didn't eat since yesterday morning. I noticed some redness in her stomach; could it be due to internal bleeding? I'm terrified. Archibald ate two huge crickets a few hours ago and swims around normally.

More information: I feed them crickets and bloodworms twice daily, I changed 1/3 of their water twice since I got them, I have a 50G pump and 2 filters and I tested their water for nitrite and PH and the levels are completely normal. I'm currently looking for a dechlorinator, so their water currently contains the amount of chlorine that normal tap water from Montreal contains. The temperature of the water is just below 24C, which I know is way too high; I'm currently looking for a chiller.

If you need any more information to give me a diagnostic, please ask me! Thank you so much. :(

PS. The first picture is Archibald's tummy; the second one is Alistair's.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!