Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 20 gallon long or 29 gallon?

Which tank for 2 axies?

• 29 gallon (30” long x 12” wide x 18” tall)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 20 gallon long (30” long x 12” wide x 12” tall)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
Opinions please? I'm getting 2 juveniles next month (once they have all 4 legs) and I'm trying to decide which tank I should set up as their permanent home once they're big enough for sand.

I have a 20 gallon long and a 29 gallon. They are both 30 inches long and 12 inches wide. The 20 gallon is 12 inches tall and the 29 gallon is 18 inches tall. I know for axies length is more important than height.

Which tank would you use for 2 adult axies?

Viking

Reaction score
Either will work? The taller is slightly harder because of the swim to get air. They will average a trip every 20 minutes. In the taller tank have floating plants for them to rest.

Freshwater Salt

Reaction score
As Viking said, either will work and if you are worried about the taller one and the swim height, you can just keep the water level lower to same height the shorter one would be.

This is also depends if you have a hang on back filter and how much noise you like (or in almost every sane persons case, dislike).

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
id use the 29 gallon so you have the option of adding more water (and diluting ammonia buildup in the process), i have a reptile hammock in my 10gal tank that provides a landing halfway to the surface and my juvenile seems to have no issues getting to the top so that could be an option if you worry, a strategic placement of hides or large rocks could also work to make getting to the surface easier

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I’ll use the 29 gallon. I have a sponge filter, so it doesn’t really matter how mich water I have. I think as babies I’ll keep it to 8-10 inches and raise it as they grow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1