Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm not to sure

Phheoniix

Reaction score
I've just moved my axolotl to a bigger tank. He used to live in a bowl, and changed frequently with bottled still water. He's lived like that for about 3-4 months.

He's in his new tank now, which is just over 2-3ft x 1ft. I'm now using treated tap water. The tap water treatment is King British Safe Guard 100ml. I got the measurements right for the water. But I'm not 100% sure this product works well for axolotls. It contains Sodium Thiosulphate, EDTA, Sodium Sulphite and Aloe Vera.

The filter I am using is a Elite Stingray 5. A-140. AC 230 - 240V 50Hz 3.5W

As of now, their is nothing on the floor, as I am wanting to purchase the correct terrain for him.

I also have a kind of bright light on the top of the tank, which runs across the top of it, thats built in with the tank I buy, I'm not sure if this is too light for him, or too light to constantly use. I also feed him frozen bloodworms, which he thinks is yummy.

I wouldn't say his gills are forward, but I am not 100% on that. Sometimes, he positions himself in a way that his tail is bent, other times it is not.

Another thing that I have noticed that bubbles are forming on the top of the water, around one edge of the tank, could this be caused by the filter? They look like foamy bubbles.

The Axolot, Alexis, is still eating, a lot, but he never swims up, and can seem to be lazy, but I think thats because the temperature of the water is 11'C

Any feed back on anythnig I'm doing wrong would be a massive help. (I know the temperature is low :( )

Thanks guys, Phheoniix :)

daremo

Reaction score
that light is unnecessary and may be stressing him
for treatment of water I use acquasafe by tetra but I think there are others that work as well...
You can get him on earthworms which are the best food

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The tank is a good size, but lights are only necessary if you have live plants in the tank. If not, then just have it on for a small part of the day if you want to view your Axolotl and whatnot...but make sure the animal has areas it can go to avoid the light.

The temperature is fine, and as far as the conditioner is concerned..I have never hard of that brand, but 2 commonly suggested conditioners are AmQuel+ and NovAqua. I personally don't use conditioners, and tend to just let my water sit for 2 days in order for the chlorine to evaporate out. But only do that if you know your water readings that are sometimes provided by the city.

oceanblue

Reaction score
The active chlorine neutraliser in the product is sodium thiosulphate. I occasionally use a home made neutraliser of this alone if I need a large water change in a hurry. The EDTA will neutralise any copper or heavy metals. A neutraliser is wise if your supplier uses chloramine as this treatment does not evaporate out. My supplier (Welsh Water) uses both chlorine and chloramine but appears to use chlorine in my supply, so I too have a bucket of water sitting around outside! Bottled water is a luxury too far for mine.

Do not worry about the temperature. The axolotl will be less active, less stressed and generally a lot healthier and longer lived than at higher temperatures. Somewhere to hide from the light gives the axolotl choice if it wants.

Try earthworms for food, they are more balanced than bloodworms.

zoezakella

Reaction score
wow lucky you getting such a low temp I have the opposite problem :)

I use nutrafin aqua plus in my tank, have always used this for my fish and axies, everything else sounds good, make sure you use sand as a substrate as that is most recommended and that you have a few hidey holes for your axie, other than that bloodworms are good but as daremo said earthworms are the best and your axie will love you for it. Good luck :D

Phheoniix

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. He seems much more active with his lighting on. Not 100% how he feels about it. I will add some stuff so he can hide.

About the sand, can I use sharp sand? Anyone have any ideas on what sands I can use? + how do you feed him? If sands in there, doesn't the food get burried? or he swallow it?

Anyone got any advice about the filter? Or the bubbles that appeared on the side.

Thanks guys, Phheoniix

Manifest

Reaction score
Here's a guide to aquarium sand Sand for the Aquarium

People on these forums use Silica sand, play sand and even some of that awesome black tahitian moon sand. I use play sand and find it to be excellent, very beautiful in the tank, very low abrasiveness and easy to keep clean

Stuff doesn't get buried in sand as much as it would fall into cracks in stone floors and rot away there where you can't see/reach it. Mostly, the wastes just sit on the surface where they can be easily sucked up with a turkey baster or gravel vac. Sand also provides a nice surface for the axy to walk on, mine always has little footprints in it.

They do suck up some sand when they eat, just through the mechanics of how they eat, but upon close observation, most of it seems to flow back out through the gills as they chew, and a little comes out with their poop. Sand's a better bet for axy digestion than gravel which can get stuck in their little bodies, or rocks, which they can still swallow!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1