Help Needed Please

Holding2k9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone , this is the first time i have posted anything asking questions about frogs. as you well know i house 5 chinese fire bellied newts and have a good knowledge of them and other species.

however my question is on albino african clawed frogs. i bought my girlfriend 2 frogs around a month ago from a local petstore and she is housing them in a 15/20gal tank.
after keeping them for around a month we have seen a huge increase in size of one of the frogs "squish" and a tiny increase in "squash" , i am aware that squish eats more than squash however my questions are as follows.

could they be 2 different albino frogs?
can squish become a large enough size to eat squash.

Thanks

My knowledge on clawed frogs is limited but it is possible they are two different species. I almost doubt it though because I havent seen albino dwarf african clawed frogs available. If one becomes significatnly larger than the other, the risk of cannabalislm is definately there. They are an aggressive species. We could help you more if you posted pics.

~AJ

Yes, there are two species, the african dwarf frog (Hymenochirus boettgeri) and the african clawed frog (Xenopus Laevis). They are often mixed up because they are so easy to breed and pet stores are not careful about separating young clawed frogs and dwarf frogs. The way to tell them apart is by the front claws: the front claws of dwarf frogs are webbed while the clawed frogs are not. for more info, visit http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawedordwarf.html

If they are both albino then they are Xenopus laevis.

Sometimes certain individuals grow very fast, while others appear to be stunted and grow very slowly. If the size difference becomes sufficiently pronounced, the bigger one can certainly eat the other one, so keep an eye on them and separate if necessary.

I would feed them individually to ensure that they both get enough.

Females are larger than males, and have chunkier leg areas.. so maybe you have one of each (male and female)? Also, as previously said, only ACFs have the albino gene.

Pictures showing size comparison would help us help you :happy:

just to update you guys unfortunately over the last day the smaller of the 2 ACF's died , we believe this is due to a parasitic or bacterial disease due to
1. red area between legs
2. lathargic
3. loss of appetite
4. tendency to stay predominantly at top of water surface

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back