Ichtyosaura alpestris apuanus Max temperature.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Yesterday the water in my indoor Alpine newt larvae tank managed to climb to an eye watering 79f in the heatwave. It wasn't on purpose, we were on holiday at the coast when the temps started to climb and I figured by the time I had driven home the few larvae from my group that I had brought inside would already be dead.
Anyway, it got hotter and hotter until I really started to worry that my super tolerant pyrrho's would be starting to struggle, so I pulled the plug and we came rushing (if you can rush in a 50yr old van) home early.
The pyrrho's were fine, but so surprisingly were the alpines! They were hungry for sure, but didn't seem upset or bothered at all.
Obviously I know what the care sheets say and would never subject them to temps remotely close to 79f on purpose, did the fact that they are larvae and not adult newts help at all? What are peoples personal observations with this subspecies regarding high temps?
Thanks in advance for any opinions. :)

My adults' tank has crept into the mid 70s F before during heat waves and they've weathered it just fine. They are now kept in a basement that is consistently 67-71F during the summer and they are voracious and active.

Their larvae are kept at similar temps and I have had their tubs get up to 75F before realizing and cooling them down. I have not observed any health issues develop as a result of this and close to 0 losses every year when raising Apuanas larvae. My experience with them for the past 4 years seems to indicate they are quite tolerant of higher temperatures for short periods of time. I don't know how well they would hold up to extended periods in the mid-high 70sF before running into issues (my guess is not for more than a day or two at most).

I have found my animals remarkably tolerant to extremes of temperature. The adults have coped being under ice, some even survived unscaved being frozen in ice :eek: Mine also seem fine at higher temperatures for short spells. Lately I do put ice packs around the sides and insulate them from heat when it gets too high.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back