Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neotene alpine newt

Molch

Reaction score
This one is 2 years old this winter and never morphed. I'm pretty sure it's a female; the cloaca looks girlish. She is now the same size as an adult male, but chunkier, with a more elongated flattened head and the same capacity to stuff her belly that she had as a young larva. She's a glutton and always the first to attack the food.

I'm curious to see whether she'll mate and lay eggs...

Attachments

• neo 002.jpg
    neo 002.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • neo 003.jpg
    neo 003.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,995

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like her! There's something about larval Alpines just before they morph, I think it's because the red gills go so well with the rest of the pattern. I was hoping some of mine would keep their gills, they all morphed in the end, though.

otolith

Reaction score
I ended up with a neotenous female Alpine this year as well. She's almost three times the size of the other morphs and an incredibly efficient hunter. Her gills are not as full as the one pictured.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
That's really interesting! Do you get many neotenic specimens?

Molch

Reaction score
Hi Stuart,
nope, she's my only alpine who did this. Although I have a very big smooth newtlet, twice the size of its siblings, who hasn't morphed yet and I have feeble hopes it'll be a neotene as well, but it's still too early to know...

Stupot1610

Reaction score
We have a few wild neotene smooth newts here, mostly female ones, I'm yet to see a neotenous male. I have quite a large population in my wildlife pond, there is also a not so large group of palmate newts but I haven't seen any neotenic ones of these. Although sometimes the larvae overwinter.

Stuart

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1