Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls from mexico ajua

logan80

Reaction score
:DHello, I present to you, my axolotls from mexico, aprox 1 year old and 3 months old

Attachments

• Imagen1.jpg
    Imagen1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4,506
  • Imagen3.jpg
    Imagen3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,648
  • Imagen2.jpg
    Imagen2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 960
  • Imagen4.jpg
    Imagen4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 788
  • Imagen5.jpg
    Imagen5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 832
  • Imagen6.jpg
    Imagen6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 662
  • Imagen7.jpg
    Imagen7.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 840

Zolotl

Reaction score
Wow!!! so nice! are they aquarium bred or bred form wild mexican ones? So many melanoids and wildtypes! you better feed them heaps:happy:

Zolotl

Reaction score
So many in the 5th picture I notice alot are missing legs, kind of unavoidable I guess :kill:

Zolotl

Reaction score
were the first, fifth and sixth pics form different ages the first one they look really big?

Zolotl

Reaction score
You should do a captive reintroduction program in lake Xochimilco if you keep up those numbers :happy:

Nathan050793

Reaction score
You should do a captive reintroduction program in lake Xochimilco if you keep up those numbers :happy:

I hope I don't come off as harsh, and although you may be kidding, I would advise against that seeing as the "domestic" version of axolotls are a genetic mess and would only end up contaminating the last "true" axolotls.

Additionally, Logan80, the wild-type/melanoid in the second picture looks like its gills are covered in fungus; is that being treated?

Zolotl

Reaction score
Hi Nathan,

Yeah I was joking, I guess if they were all extinct it might be a possible option:happy:. Id really like to see what a wild axolotl actually look like Ive only seen very few pics though, I wonder if they've been captive bred I saw an axolotl site from mexico that had some breeding program but it was in Spanish which I cant unfortunately read. Guess Ill have to use google translator Ill see if I can find it again and post it.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
While it's wonderful to see so many axolotls together, I really worry for their health. Is there any way you can reduce the numbers in each container? Perhaps there wouldn't be so much competetion for food and less limb biting.

logan80

Reaction score
Wow!!! so nice! are they aquarium bred or bred form wild mexican ones? So many melanoids and wildtypes! you better feed them heaps:happy:

I feed them, but they ever ends bite between , is unavoidable

logan80

Reaction score

I try to reintroduce them, but the authorities did not allow me, I dont know why?, perhaps by the chance of survive for water quality

logan80

Reaction score
Wow, thats alot of little axies in that tub, looks very cramped. I hope you have a good supply of food for them all!

Sorry it is not their permanent habitat is temporary while I wash theyr bowl

logan80

Reaction score
I hope I don't come off as harsh, and although you may be kidding, I would advise against that seeing as the "domestic" version of axolotls are a genetic mess and would only end up contaminating the last "true" axolotls.

Additionally, Logan80, the wild-type/melanoid in the second picture looks like its gills are covered in fungus; is that being treated?

its not fungus, which are secreted by the mucous membrane stress of having taken from his habitat when washing your aquarium

blabberwort

Reaction score
I was going to put a more pc post but in the end emotion got the better of me. While I understand that when people are raising babies they have less room per axie than if you were buying an axie as a pet. I have to say that i found the 5th picture horrific to look at.
So many axolotls and yet so little space. While nipping limbs etc is unavoidable im sure that with more space this could be greatly reduced.

There must be some way you can provide your axies with more room?

Edit - my apologies, you were posting that this was a temp container while you were cleaning as I was making my post.

logan80

Reaction score
While it's wonderful to see so many axolotls together, I really worry for their health. Is there any way you can reduce the numbers in each container? Perhaps there wouldn't be so much competetion for food and less limb biting.

Sorry my fault did not specify which occurs in each photograph, they are in such containers because I was washing his bowl, I hope to upload pictures in the new container, a thousand apologies​

logan80

Reaction score
They are super big and healty, Now I have 13 axolotls adults, another 100 axolotls was sold, but I will upload new images from they

deliriah

Reaction score
I have to say those pictures are a bit distressing to me. I don't see why you would keep so many together if there is limb bitting going on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1