Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very ill axolotl!! In need of urgent advice

Luna Bean

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls both housed in a 60ltr tank. One is a dwarf golden albino, and one is a white albino. I have had my golden albino for just over a year, but due to her sixe, I am unable to determine her age. She does not have a cloaca, so I'm saying SHE - as with my other one, who I have had for about 4 months and is now about 7 inches long, still with no cloaca. They both have grey toes, however I'm led ot believe that this is not necessarily a marker for sexual maturation...
anyway, my dwarf has not eaten in almost 2 weeks, and half of one of her gills are missing! her gills are usually pinkish-red and are white as white can be, and she has no appetite. She is having trouble staying on the bottom of the tank - her bottom seems to want to rise up... is she bloated?

Could she be egg bound?

My white albino has red gills and is swimming about as usual.

I have tested the water, and the nitrate levels were high so I have done a half tank water change with dechlorinated water, have added good bacteria and have flushed the filter of any excess gunk so it is cycling the water at its optimum level. I have a waterfall filter set on the lowest level.

I have always fed my axolotls cubed axolotl food that comes frozen, which I cut into smaller pieces and defrost before feeding with a pair of plastic tongs.

I have no substrate at all.

The ammonia and ph are all good.

I don't know what else to say and am feeling incredibly upset.

Please, does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what else I should check or change, or do -
PLEASE I'M DESPERATE

Chillaxolot

Reaction score
Hi Luna Bean :happy:
How is your axolotl? Is it any better? The back end floating is usually a sign of constipation /needing to poo. Can you get some earthworms/ nightcrawlers as they provide a healthy diet for your axolotl fully nutritious and will very seldom be refused to encourage eating.
Is she still having floating issues?

Chillaxolot

Reaction score
Should have asked what are your water parameters/readings, tank temperature. I know you said you did a water change to lower nitrates what level are they at now.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!