The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 21st July 2009   #1
Tommy
(Quack)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 2
Rep: Quack is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fire Belly Newts and Red Spotted Newts

I'm planning on setting up a tank for my Chinese Fire Belly Newt and then getting more CFBNs. I read in a book (I forget what the name was) that red spotted newts and CFBNs can live together. And I've decided that IF they can live together I'll put some red spotted newts in too. Would this be ok?

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009   #2
AJ
(caudatadude28)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Fire Belly Newts and Red Spotted Newts

No. I am guessing you got your CFBN's from a pet store and in that case they would be wild caught. If you got notos from a petstore then they would be wild caught too. These two species come from two different continents and could introduce different diseases together. They are both similar in size but besides introduction of diseases, they may be aggressive towards each other.
This link shows different species mixing disasters including an eastern newt+Chinese firebelly newt(disaster 23).
On the top of the page it shows a male eastern newt trying amplexus with a chinese firebelly newt which could drown the chinese firebelly newt because it is not used to this kind of courtship.
Hope this helps you.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009   #3
Tommy
(Quack)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 2
Rep: Quack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fire Belly Newts and Red Spotted Newts

Ok thanks! I won't put them in with each other

Tags