Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravel in tank

baurelio

Reaction score
How big must gravel be if using in an axie tank? Our gravel is probably about the size of round nickels and our filters been running since monday, we're just waiting to get an axolotl!

Thanks!

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you want the stones to be as big, or bigger, than the size of your axie's head? As smaller could potentially be swallowed.

X

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
LOl, don't worry Mike, I found it crazy-confusing when I first started learning about axies! :happy:

The thing is with axies, they have really big mouths in relation to the size of their heads - Petrie (my little monster) is about 8 inches long - his mouth is at least 3cm wide, probably wider in fact - and he can open his mouth eveeeeeeen wider when he's on the prowl for food - so any stones 2cm big would definately be a risk.

Better with sand or bare bottomed tank. I have some big stones in mine, but they are about the size of my fist, so no chance of him chowing down!

Zoe x

baurelio

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! So should I take them all out? Which would require dumping the tank or just picking them all up? This seems like a tedious task! =[

Last edited by a moderator:

flan123

Reaction score
Hi Baurelio!

It's more like what you think would fit in its mouth. As stated, axie mouths can open 3-4 cm, so I would say maybe gold-ball size pebbles are ideal.

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

callina

Reaction score
I would prefer sand or gravel not bigger than 3mm in diameter and only a few bigger pebbles. That can be cleaned easily. If there are too much golf-ball sized pebbles in the tank, the food and waste will fall in between and its very difficult to clean the ground, which leads to bad water conditions.

-Tina-

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
If prefer no substrate at all for axolotls.

However, anything that will not fit in their mouth or is small enough to safely pass through their digestive system (sand) is best.

There are pros and cons to all substrates. The bigger the substrate, the harder it is to keep clean. the smaller the substrate the more likely you are to clog up your plumbing with sand.;)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Hi!

You won't stop until you get everyone substrate-less, will you!!:D

Cheers, Mike:cool:

:grin:

It is more about me having so many critters to feed and tanks to clean on a weekly basis that any way I can save a bit of time helps. Well, that and why clean substrate if you do not have to!
Well, that and after years of prowling various web forums about aquaria and reading of so may water quality and blocked digestive tract related disasters, I figure, why not try and force the world to be as lazy as I am!:p

baurelio

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their replies and help -- we're going to take the gravel out soon and figure out if we want sand or bare bottom. =]

Last edited by a moderator:

flan123

Reaction score
:grin:

It is more about me having so many critters to feed and tanks to clean on a weekly basis that any way I can save a bit of time helps. Well, that and why clean substrate if you do not have to!
Well, that and after years of prowling various web forums about aquaria and reading of so may water quality and blocked digestive tract related disasters, I figure, why not try and force the world to be as lazy as I am!:p

Well, I must admit...I've succumbed to your thinking. I'm going for the minimalistic look!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!