Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tutorial: How to make your own Gravel Cleaner (Aquarium Vacuumer)

michel3171

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am currently working on a project, I am making my own Aquarium Vacuumer.
I tought, why not share it with the Caudata.org community?
So, i will post a pic as soon as I find my camera :D
The pic will include a layout of how to make it.
Materials you need:

Tubing (water has to fit true it)
Air Pump
Filterwool
Suction Mouth (its the end of the hose, where all the stuff gets sucked in)
Some kind of box, that will hold the filter wool (this will be easier to understand when you see the drawing I made)

michel3171

Reaction score
***UPDATE***

I am very sorry, but I won't go on with my project. I will post a picture of the drawing (when I find my camera, wich is still lost!?) I found a full set at my local Sealife store. It is not too expensive, and it is definatelly safe. Sorry!!!!!!!! :eek:

esn

Reaction score
There was an aquarium vac on sale at Petsmart the other day for $1.57 They're cheaper than the do-it-yourself sometimes. There are also youtube videos on making your own vac. Personally, I just bought my small one and long one. Making them is a hassle, when they're so cheap.

michel3171

Reaction score
I like making things!
Some people like hobbying (hobbiying? I don't know how to write that), and this is a nice project to work on. I went to the Sealife store yesterday, and I saw an Airpump and a Cleaner set, so I am going to buy that today/tomorrow. But somehow, my camera magically dissapeared. Just when I need it :mad:
But, if I don't find it, I will use my iPhone. Better have a bad picture then no picture ;)

michel3171

Reaction score
:DHERE ARE THE PICTURES (I found my camera :eek:)

Attachments

• P5020031.jpg
    P5020031.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,666
  • P5020033.jpg
    P5020033.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4,864
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1