Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl’s Back Legs Are Red/Bloody Looking?

Braxtonator2000

Reaction score
So I just came back from a short vacation and have noticed that my axolotl’s back legs look red and bloody, but seemingly not bloody on the outside and possibly just on the inside? I am very confused by this and I’d like to know if this is a long term/serious problem or if this is nothing to worry about. He shows no other signs of stress: his tail has not been curled, his gills have not been curled forward, he is active like usual, and he eats as much as usual. He did, however, get pretty pale and his gills turned white for a couple of hours after I changed his water when I got back from vacation but his colors are back now and I think it was just because he was adjusting to some colder water. Other than the red legs, he is perfectly fine, but I’m still really worried.

Attachments

• 95900377-8891-4DF2-8E76-484D1DDC9C45.jpg
    95900377-8891-4DF2-8E76-484D1DDC9C45.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 292

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
That is red leg. A trip to the vet to get some antibiotics might help, but redleg is usually fatal in amphibians. There are not really any treatments you can do on your own, except maybe kanamycin but a trip to the vet would be much better. Redleg is basically septicemia, means there was something in the water.

Braxtonator2000

Reaction score
That is red leg. A trip to the vet to get some antibiotics might help, but redleg is usually fatal in amphibians. There are not really any treatments you can do on your own, except maybe kanamycin but a trip to the vet would be much better. Redleg is basically septicemia, means there was something in the water.

Shoot, okay that’s sad to hear:( I don’t have any exotic animal vets even remotely close to me, is there any chance he can pull out of it on his own or is he guaranteed to die basically?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111821

Here is someone else's story about their axies having red leg. It doesn't seem like there is much you can do, other than seeing a vet, and even then it may not help. They do talk about how to disinfect the tank so that may help you. Good luck, and do let us know of any changes.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I’m really sorry that it happened. It isn’t really your fault, but an opportunistic infection that could have happened at any time. Kanamycin is an antibiotic you can get at a fish store that could help if a vet is not an option.

Braxtonator2000

Reaction score
I’m really sorry that it happened. It isn’t really your fault, but an opportunistic infection that could have happened at any time. Kanamycin is an antibiotic you can get at a fish store that could help if a vet is not an option.

Okay, thanks a lot for the help and info anyways I really appreciate it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1