The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 2nd July 2019   #1
New to axolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: New to axolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worms

My little axolotl have been with me a week now. Apart from some initial stress at being moved into a tank, all is going well. They are eating bloodworms and pooping fine.
My question is about earthworms.
I was told by breeder that at 9/10 weeks old it is fine to start weaning them onto earthworms by chopping worm into small pieces and tempting axolotls by waving it under their noses with plastic tweezers.
Should I expect any constipation problems initially?
50 g of earthworms arrived today which I have put in a tub of damp substrate soil with some veg. Air holes in lid.
Am I doing this right ?

New to axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Worms

i started with red wigglers since they are smaller (and i dont like cutting the worms) but i didnt notice much constipation if any when they switched foods, if anything i think pellets back them up and worms must have the right fiber. worm poos are always solid (& easy to clean!) whereas with pellets i see a lot of "dust" but no solid poos and sometimes minor tail floating which can indicate constipation.
not sure about age but i switched from bloodworms to wigglers when mine were ~3 inches (7-8cm) long

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019   #3
New to axolotl

Nationality:

Thank you for your reply. I'm also a bit uneasy about cutting up worms.
I've read that Axi also like black worms. They're still quite small so I think I'll look for some black worms and red wiggles you mentioned. Earth worms seem quite happy in the tub for a while longer. I tried the pellets and both Axi spat them straight out.

Old 3rd July 2019   #4
KumquatSquats

Nationality:

pellets might take a few days hunger strike before they take them. just be careful with black worms, ive heard leeches are sometimes mixed in so just keep an eye out

Old 3rd July 2019   #5
New to axolotl

Nationality:

Oh Wow ! Thx for letting me know about black worms. I would have innocently fed without checking.

Old 8th July 2019   #6
Locke

Nationality:
Rep: Locke is an unknown quantity at this point

Red wrigglers secrete a milky white stuff that can cause your axolotls to vomit them up. Mine aren't able to keep them down. Check out a company called Lou Lou's worms for some really good pellet food made from fresh earthworms.

Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019   #7
Locke

Nationality:

Good way to check a batch of worms for potential parasites is to put one of the worms into an high salt water concentration. If there are parasites present the worm will vomit them out and you will see. Worms coming out of worms is a trippy thing to see.

Old 8th July 2019   #8
KumquatSquats

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Red wrigglers secrete a milky white stuff that can cause your axolotls to vomit them up. Mine aren't able to keep them down. Check out a company called Lou Lou's worms for some really good pellet food made from fresh earthworms.
if you blanch the worms it helps, i boil a cup of water and then dip the worms in with my tongs, when they stop wiggling i drop them into a second cup of tank water so they arent hot when i feed them to my axys.
if you already have the worms might as well use them, pellets are good too though

Old 8th July 2019   #9
Locke

Nationality:

Lol seems like alot of work, why blanch them?

Old 13th July 2019   #10
New to axolotl

Nationality:

Thx everyone for great advice. They are going to have their first red wriggle today so I popped back to check post ( glad I did.) Worms have come from a breeder. Are they still likely to have parasites? Breeder didn't mention anything. Blanching sounds like a good way for me at least until I get used to the chopping lol.
I will definitely check out the site for pellets even though the ones I currently offer (Nova Lotl M by JBL) are still being met with total disinterest

Old 13th July 2019   #11
New to axolotl

Nationality:

Btw, I've noticed that 1 off them has become quite dominant over food. It (can't see them yet ) seems to guard the dish from the other but luckily makes such a mess doing this that it actually ends up kicking a lot of blood worms and shrimp out of the dish which other axi hovers up. Should I be using 2 dishes at opposite ends of tank ?

Old 15th July 2019   #12
Locke

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to axolotl View Post
Btw, I've noticed that 1 off them has become quite dominant over food. It (can't see them yet ) seems to guard the dish from the other but luckily makes such a mess doing this that it actually ends up kicking a lot of blood worms and shrimp out of the dish which other axi hovers up. Should I be using 2 dishes at opposite ends of tank ?
I spread the food out so that they all get to it. My wild type does the same thing, thats why we call him chunkers lol. And i just use a turkey baster to suck out the uneaten food about 20 mins after feeding.

Old 15th July 2019   #13
KumquatSquats

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol seems like alot of work, why blanch them?
if you dont blanch them they excrete a nasty goop and most axys will spit it back out, blanching kills the worm ( then cools them down) so we avoid that. its really not too much work, i pop a cup of water in the microwave for 45 seconds while im rinsing the dirt off the worms then use my tongs to drop them in the hot water before picking them back up and dropping them in the cold rinse water