The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 18th July 2019   #1
bobandy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: bobandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Male or female???... please help

Hello everyone i was just wondering if someone could please help me determine the sex of my two axolotls l . im not sure of there age, but i believe the both of them are over 2-3 years old(going by what previous owners had told me)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_214903.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	55701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_214918.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	55702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_215004.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	55703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_215314.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	55704   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_215243.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	55705  

bobandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Male or female???... please help

The leucistic is female, and I suspect your golden one could be male by its body shape, the the lack of a bulge makes me wonder :/

Last edited by bellabelloo; 18th July 2019 at 06:19. Reason: Dithering
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
bobandy

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: bobandy is an unknown quantity at this point

i just had to separate the two of them... they were getting along great up untill i had to remove the golden to be fridge for a week.. then when i put the golden back into tank i noticed redmarks on a few my leucistic's toes.i decided to put them in separate tanks and within the hour it took me to setup/clean my spare tank my poor lucy had suffered from A missing limb.. i can barely watch as the poor thing doggy paddles around the tank with one arm and a little stub just below the elbow

bobandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What lengths are each of them? If they're younger nips can happen easily. One might have spooked the other and led to a bite. Make sure your tank is big enough for both, and there are a few hides for them to choose from. Keep their bellies full as well.
See if you can get a pic of the leucy from underneath. There is barely a bulge so I would assume both are females, if they are indeed a couple of years old.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote