Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Xenopus laevis

berksmike

Reaction score
I had a group of 3 male albino african clawed frogs and a while back got 2 more males and a female off a member of another forum.

They soon settled in as a group and started breeding. Thought I'd share how they developed:

Mating:
acf-2.jpg

Laying:
1.jpg

2.jpg

Spawn:
6.jpg

Newly hatched tadpole:
3.jpg

Tadpoles developing:
5.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Froglet still with tail:
IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

Froglet nearly absorbed tail:
IMG_2821.jpg

These are filter feeders and have been feeding on a mixture of ground up reptomin and spirulina powder

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
Cool I think my first pet was a clawed frog, although I find their tadpoles very creepy.

keechoo

Reaction score
Great pictures! Maybe you can help me. Mine have laid on many different occasions. Sometimes I kept the eggs in and sometimes I took the eggs out but no matter what there were no tadpoles. The eggs would either disappear in the tank (assuming parents ate them) or they would develop a fungus in the other tank. My only thinking was that the duo were too young to have fertilized eggs. Can you please tell me what you did? I recently found eggs among the live plants but don't know hoe long they have been in there. I also don't think they were fertilized because they didn't have dark centers like the previous ones did. Any tips would be appreciated!

berksmike

Reaction score
Hi there

Well once they have laid its best to get the eggs out I have found as the frogs seem to hoover them up pretty quickly.
I transfer them with a plastic turkey baster ( an essential tool for keeping my frogs I have found!)to a small clean aquarium with fresh water (dechlorinated if tap water), an airstone and some elodea.
If you prepare this ready you can use a heater (always give the heater time to work before so you don't end up with boiled tads) - i didnt but if you do I believe the tadpoles grow faster.
If you have albino frogs then you will never see a black dot and they develop as in the pictures above.

The first couple of clutches laid by my frogs didnt take but they soon get the hang of it!

Hope this helps

keechoo

Reaction score
Thank you. My male is albino and the female is the typical grey color. I'll rermember what you've said for the next batch. Thanks a lot!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fascinating pictures. The tadpoles are incredibly fish-like.

berksmike

Reaction score
Managed to get a pic of one of the first of the fully morphed froglets (for scale he is about 2cm long now):

IMG_2841.jpg

Very funny watching him gobbling down bloodworm!

SUZY

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed this expedition. You are amazing at taking pic's. I have 4 females, never been able to find a male, or never tried hard enough. But, I love it.
They are so cute !!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1