Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to change from gravel to sand or stones?

Berrie

Reaction score
When I bought my axie, Frida, I did everything the store told me, but as I've learnt, they're advice is normally bollocks :(
Her tank is perfectly cycled now, and her water conditions are all good, except I want to get rid of the gravel.
I'm envisioning me scooping her out, with about 75% of the water and the ornaments, cleaning the tank, throwing the gravel out, and putting down stones and large pebbles. Am I on the right track? Should I clean the ornaments, or will that get rid of the bacteria?
Also, can I expect water conditions to change? I'm a little concerned about losing all our good bacteria, because of the shakey start we had, when I got her a few months ago. (Luckily, she's very laidback, and sort of rolls with everything, it's just me who's a stresshead! ;) )

midnight12

Reaction score
don't be to worried i was very worried when i first got my axolotl, but just go with it, aslong as it isn't ridiculous! you are on the right track though. i tend to clean ornaments every now and then, you won't upset bacteria balance, so just clean them, when they're a bit dirty so no infections. hope this helped.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If your not needing to move the tank then you don't need to empty that much water out.

First, you'll want to remove the axolotl obviously. Then just scoop out all the gravel with something like an aquarium net. This gets out the gravel, the nasty junk, but drains the water in the process. After all the gravel has been removed you'll want to let the water sit for about 20 minutes to let all the fine debris that you stirred up to settle at the bottom, at this time you'll want to use a vaccum to suck up the waste. With this process you only remove about 15% of the water instead of 75%. All that's left to do now is add the rinsed sand or large pebbles.

As for decorations, just wipe them down with a paper towel soaked in tank water. Do not use tap water as the chemicals in it will kill the bacteria. Anytime you do a major tank renovation like this you might as well expect some changes to your water parameters. Just make sure you keep on top of it and you won't have any problems.

Berrie

Reaction score
thanks folks, I'm going to do it this weekend :happy:

Shari

Reaction score
maybe its just my axies but they like a squeaky clean tank 99%fresh water every 2nd day and everything scrubbed out if i dont they get stressed out and wont eat as soon as they are put in nice clean tank they are happy as and to date they have not once had any health issues at all limbs grown back super fast etc and they grew long as super fast they like a heater but makes them toooooo excited lol they rub up against it and they hate aged water too :S so i dont think its matters what you get told by people it comes down to the indivdual axie

Kerry1968

Reaction score
This is in your experience Shari.

First of all with a complete water change and a scrubbed tank your tank will never cycle, but that's fine if you want to do these large changes every day or two. I wouldn't recommend this method though, it is more than likely very stressful for your axolotls.

A spotless tank (or lack of) shouldn't make a difference to an axolotls appetite, unless the tank was extremely dirty.

Axolotls love the cold and should never need a heater, unless your tank temperature drops to below 10 degrees for any length of time.

You say that they hate aged water? Do you use dechlorinator for your water changes?

How old are your axolotls and how long have you had them?

blabberwort

Reaction score
maybe its just my axies but they like a squeaky clean tank 99%fresh water so i dont think its matters what you get told by people it comes down to the indivdual axie
Theres always the odd creature in every breed that is the exception to the rule, personally I would say always go with the majority opinion of people. Thats the reason this forum exists, lots of experienced people (im not one of them :p ) that are here to help and use their knowledge to teach people.

There will always be differences of opinions because thats life, however I would always suggest that people follow the more experienced peoples advice else why bother with the forum if it's not to read/learn and understand :lick:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!