Temperature affecting gill growth?

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Thos of you who've followed me and my axie, Ron, will know how much of an improvement he has undergone over the last 3 months. However, his gills now seem to be losing the feathery filaments gradually, although the actual length of the gill is still quite healthy (barring one, which has always been like this). I'm wondering what it could be, his water perameters are good, he eats well and it still his usual self. The only thing I can relate it to is that his tank is pretty much constantly 22 degrees. Maybe this is why? Yesterday I gave him a huge worm. They tend to extend themselves in water and by the time I realised how big it was, he'd scoffed the lot!!!:rofl:

Hi Mike could be the temperature.

Yes tempreture does affect gill length.

Only because there is less disolved oxygen in warmer water.

In an oxygen heavy environment an axolotl will have noticablly smaller gills than one kept in an oxygen deprived environment.

But your tempreture is not substantially low but actually moderate-high.

Considering it is the gill 'veins' that have shrunk and not the actual rods(?).

As he seems to be eating happily (greedily) and your water seems clean I would not worry.

But if he does show signs of un-normal behavior:
Not eating
Floating
Swimming really fast and crashing into the glass
:confused:

I would post again with some pictures.

By the way I too have noticed that worms expand quite a lot when in water, when I go out and collect them they are small but after I soak them for about 20mins. they almost double in length...
:errr:

Yeah. I've increased his feeding regime also as he looks a bit on the thin side (his head is wider than his body width) and his gills seem a bit healthier!

After he was making such a good improvement initially, this has really upset me!:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back