Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gravel

daremo

Reaction score
Hi

i live in argentina and I cannot find aquarium sand or anything suitable, so my axie is on a bare bottom tank with big river rocks, i'd like to give him some substrate but all my options are a bare tank or very small gravel, so how small could a gravel be if i chose to add it?
i dont want to risk him eating it so i'd rather keep a bare bottom tank but maybe if 1 mm gravel works fine i may be able to get that

thanks

lea

Reaction score
hi daremo
i have 1mm gravel on the bottom of my tank.....it is blue and i can tell when abby(i think i have to change his name, we thought he was a she but its not) has been eating the gravel cause he has a blue belly.
lea

daremo

Reaction score
so quartz sand its ok? i can find that one...
and another thing, if i add sand, will i go through a cycle again?

lea

Reaction score
from what i understand about cycling yes it will but there is good stuff in the filter already so it shouldnt be as bad as the new tank cycling..........so you will have to keep an eye on your water and do water changes.....but someone with more understanding on cycling will be able to tell you for sure
lea

daremo

Reaction score
another question, i bought a pvc tube for the axie, but how should i clean it to make sure there's nothing chemical or anything harmful in the plastic?
of course, the tube was never used ...

dragonlady

Reaction score
The article I gave you names quartz sand so you should be fine. Make sure you rinse it really well of course. Don't take out your ornaments or change your filter media when you change over.

As Lea said, it shouldn't impact your tank that badly as bacteria clings to any semi-porous surface it can. I would turn your filter off and take your axie out though until the sand settles - and it should settle in a few hours.

Just wash the pvc with a mild soap and rinse, rinse, rinse.

ttamra

Reaction score
I don't think that adding the sand should have any major effects on the current status of the nitrogen cycle aside from providing more places for the beneficial bacteria to grow. In order to go through the nitrogen cycle again, there would need to be an increase in waste product so that the bacteria that is currently present can't decompose the new waste and more bacteria has to grow. As you have a bare bottom tank now there isn't really anywhere for bacteria to develop so you won't be disturbing anything.

I definitely agree that you should turn the filter off when adding the new sand, loose particles can get caught in the powerhead and can make it jam up if you leave it running.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1