African Clawed Frog Sexing

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
DSC_0443-4.jpg

These are my two African Clawed frogs. I got them at the mall. Obviously, the pink/orange one was dyed, and obviously, they were dyed. I don't agree with dying but I could pass the one legged one up. Poor little guy D: and s/he would have been lonely without a friend. So, boy? Or Girl?

I hope to be able to breed them if the are the opposite sex.

They look a bit young to be sexed, as they mature the males will develop black palms and forearms whilst the females will probally be bigger and fatter in the body and on their bottom will be a small tube like structure called an ovipositer where she lays her eggs.

Last edited:
I think both of them are females. At their cloaca the mentioned structure can be seen now (it's not a tube, but exactly two small lobes). I've got some experience in sexing young clawed frogs, because at the pet shops only juveniles can usually be bought (in my country).
Can you tell me the size of your frog?

The body is about an inch to an inch and a half not including the legs. They are very young I believe

At that size sexes can be distinguished, so you could start thinking to get a male;)
Males lack any extension at their cloaca from upper view.

Cool :D I'll see if I can go within the next couple of weeks to get one :D I'll let you all know if I get any tadpoles :D

I've sexed lots of clawed frogs and Pipidae. Those pictures do not show the claocal flap clearly to me. I would not look at them and say they are definitely females. At a quick glance my guess would be males or to young to sex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back