Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tanks or tubs?

What do you house your Axolotls in?

• Fish tank

Votes: 91 68.9%
  • Plastic tub/other

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Both

Votes: 36 27.3%

• Total voters

danchristopher

Reaction score
Wheee!!! For any Aussies out there, 45cmx25-30-ish cm sistema containers (7L), which are fantastically long and a perfect depth for any axie are on sale at Coles for $10- my babies are LOVING theirs (Hopefully getting another one tonight :D !

The Reject Shop down the road sells 5L containers for $2.50 :) They probably have other sizes as well.

My adults are kept in a glass tank which I have tried to make pretty for them, but all my larvae are in tubs, just easier that way. I live in a one bedroom apartment and I wish I could have more tanks but we just don't have the space D; when my partner and I move to a bigger place though....there will be no stopping me :cool:

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I have glass tanks, tubs, and stock tank/pond.

Molch is so right though, you have to really pick out your tubs... because some are cracked or have that very thin plastic that may look solid but isn't, or may give out under water pressure.

davybobmacca

Reaction score
Currently my hatchlings are in a little freezing food container, they'll migrate to a glass tank afterwards and I'll have a long thin tub just incase Chris breaks the tank again!!!

pent565

Reaction score
Tanks, lots of tanks. Tubs are genius, though. I've got to make mine presentable, I'm living with the folks, and they seem to care if their house is full of Rubbermaid tubs, but I can get away with prettily aquascaped aquariums. I've got four set up, a 75, two 5.5, and a 30, as well as a 27 long I just got and haven't set up yet.

Loobylou

Reaction score
I'm on tank no. 10 and I think it's driving the OH mad.. But then I do only live in a tiny 2 bed flat! I use tubs for the bubs and for quarantine as I find it easier to do daily water changes in tubs. I also have a huge rubbermaid type tub outside with some axies in who are waiting for me to get off my butt and build the pond I keep promising them. One day I'll get around to buying the pond liner.

Morrison

Reaction score
Tanks for the big ones. Tubs for the young axies.
I have a whole bunch of tubs, I use them for all kinds of stuff... But when I need one they're all in use :mad:

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
They have super heavy duty plastic tubs for sale at restaurant supply stores. They are 4 times thicker than plastic tubs used for clothes and houshold junk you buy at chain stores. These are great to use as they really hold up and won't crack if dropped. If you want to know the price and were to buy them near you do the research yourself. I'm not your mother.

bichogrilo

Reaction score
i have 2(soon to be 4) indoor aquariums and then 1 1000ltr water storage tub outside with all my babies in.

weofui

Reaction score
My little guys are in tubs until their tank is cycled... at which point I'll probably start looking for something else to live in the tubs. Don't tell the husband-ish. ;)

Reaction score
I keep my axis in tubs or small plastic bug containers with the water level low. This is so they can find their food easier and axis have to get air bubbles from the surface. So with the water level low they don't have to go all the way to the top. I would recommend upgrading their tank the bigger they get. But just a suggestion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!