Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie With Some Questions

Lasrig

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I am in the process of planning for getting a melanoid axolotl and I want them to have the best home possible. I need opinions on the equipment I found, answers to a few questions, and referrals to where I can get a young adolescent (I want to be able to see the little guy grow up.)

Here is the list I have now:
Tank
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ndard-glass-aquarium-tank-20-gallon?rrec=true

Hideaway
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTXDV2...&pd_rd_r=89baef91-1cc7-11e9-a575-df1f649f28fd

Filter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020SVDG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Test Kit
https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWAT...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000255NCI

Conditioner
https://www.amazon.com/API-CONDITIO...words=water+conditioner&qid=1548001448&sr=8-5

Questions:
How can I diffuse the flow of the filter so that it does not cause stress
What amount should I feed an adolescent (planning on using earthworms)
What plants can be added that will not cause issues? I’m planning on doing a slate floor/ hidey hole combo later along the line. (just going to have an empty floor to start)
How long should I cycle the tank before adding the axolotl
Is there any issue with moving the axolotl? I don't want to hurt him if I need to move the tank somewhere else.

Finally, I am not quite sure where to buy an axolotl from. As stated before I want a melanoid axolotl as young as possible (but not too young that its unsafe to transport.) I saw some things about certain pet stores having them, but that it's better to just get one from a breeder.

If you got this far, then thank you! Any help will be appreciated, and have a great day!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that filter is too much. Get a smaller filter that you do't have to diffuse.
Plastic plants would be fine, as I hear axolotls tear up a tank. You can move him with a net.
Check ads for axies; they are plentiful. As far as cycling., I don't cycle tanks or check water parameters so I ca't help you there.

MrsAJ

Reaction score
Questions:
How can I diffuse the flow of the filter so that it does not cause stress
What amount should I feed an adolescent (planning on using earthworms)

I’m fairly new to being an axi owner, but we have a filter that you can reduce the flow, but when it’s hot and there’s less oxygen in the water, we turn the flow back up and sit an ornament underneath it to help diffuse it a bit. Our axi actually lays under the filter pipe, so clearly he’s not too stressed by it all lol!

We bought frozen axi food cubes, which have bloodworms and brine shrimp among other things they like to eat. We just cut it up for him so it’s small enough for him to swallow it. He also loves earth worms which we buy from the pet shop. He’s not a fan of the sinking pellets anymore - I think he loves worms too much haha!!!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I think that filter is fine. I also use a hob and I diffuse it with a diy water bottle diffuser. I personally wouldn't want to get a less powerful filter as axolotl are very messy.
Time frame for cycling is difficult to pin down but it's safe to add once you're consistently getting 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite.
I think earthworms are the best food source- you can cut up of they're too large for the juvi. Bloodworms are a good treat but wouldn't make it a staple. Pellets work for some people bit I've found them to be difficult to get them to eat and messy. If you wanna try they I've had hikari sinking carnivore pellets recommended by many.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1