Do Axolotls make noises?

Axie125

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering whether Axolotls make any sounds? For example, I've been reading that newts make clicks and squeaks.

If Axolotls makes noises, do they have different sounds for different situations?

Thanks for any responses.

Probably, but they are underwater so it would be pretty difficult to hear anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do the squeaks too, but that´s the only sound they make.
Water actually carries sound very well so the squeaks are fairly audible if you are close.

The only sound that I've heard are my axolotls swallowing some air.
I didn't knew about the squeaks, interesting :)

They do the squeaks too, but that´s the only sound they make.
Water actually carries sound very well so the squeaks are fairly audible if you are close.

Its funny you say that, when i transported my axie from one tank to another there was a really loud squeak that came from the ice cream tub that he was in, but i disregarded this and assumed it was the chair.

Bizarre.

Oh wow. This is really interesting info!

Very cool.

Its funny you say that, when i transported my axie from one tank to another there was a really loud squeak that came from the ice cream tub that he was in, but i disregarded this and assumed it was the chair.

Bizarre.

For reals?!

Hmm, didn't know about the squeaking, that's interesting...:rolleyes:

Mine makes weird noises (that I can hear) when it grabs at its food.

Well even if they did, they are underwater, I'm guessing they might if they morph to salamanders? The only sounds mine make is when gulping air from the top of the tank.

Why do they gulp air anyway?

i think it's to do with buoyancy. the extra air helps them swim.

They gulp air to breathe!
When axolotls reach the equivalent of "metamorphosis", while still retaining larval characteristics, they do develop lungs. Functional ones.
They obtain their oxygen through their skin, their gills and their lungs.

About the sounds, the squeaking happens when an animal is grabbed, bitten, etc. It´s kind of a "get off me" thing.
Caudates are only able to make such noises and nothing else because they are not vocal creatures like anurans. They haven´t developed vocalization organs, nor they have a good hearing hability either (what´s the point of making sounds if you can barely hear them).

But about that squeaky part...
What does the 'squeak' sound like? Does it sounds pretty high, short, long, with open mouths....?

Sorry to necropost, hope it's okay.

I have only had my axolotl for a few days, but every now and then I've heard this funny noise coming from the tank and I couldn't figure out what it was.

I heard it and immediately looked over and saw her floating down the to bottom of the tank from having gone up to the top. I think she squeaked when she was up there.

It sounds... kind of like a high-pitched yawn-squeak (not really high, I would say probably along the same pitch as a typical cat meow), like a squeaky bike chain, maybe. Maybe it was her taking in air, I don't know, but I've never heard my cats make this noise and I never heard it from the filter or anything before she was in the tank.

Edit : She did it again while I was watching. Came up for air and produced a squeak.

Last edited:
Check your water parameters to make sure everything is OK. The only time I've heard any of mine squeak was due to stress (moved her from mine to mum's and the second she was outside in the bright light she squeaked and sploshed about). If they are all fine then maybe she's quite vocal? :/ It could also just be how she takes the air in I guess. I think most reps and amphibs emit the same kind of squeak if it helps you to compare :) My leo does it from time to time (he's a mardy *** when it's bed time) and his squeak sounded like the one that came from my axie.

I've been watching her, and I only hear the noise when she goes up for air - which seems to be maybe once an hour.

She has a couple gills to re-grow (since they were bitten off when I got her), and I did some searching on this forum and Google, and that seems like a normal and non-worrisome rate of air gulping ? (I ran across a thread that said once every half hour was an okay/normal rate, and that it was bad if it was gasping lots every few minutes)

Could just be she makes a funny noise when she gulps air then :)

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to say yes. Axolotls do make noise. I haven’t heard the stressed sounds others talked about but I have heard one of our Axolotls bark... well more like yip. The FB groups I’m in say it’s pretty normal and there are a few legit videos among the obvious spoofs. I usually hear it when I’m trying to sleep. One of them surfaces for a gulp of air and sometimes I hear this quiet little yip and it’s super cute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back