Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled Newts Juvenile Terrestrial

Lee31

Reaction score
Hi

I have some adult marbled newts that are fully aquatic at moment for breeding.

I also have some 2yr old juveniles, Is it normal practice to keep these juves on land for another year as they would in the wild and introduce them to water maybe next year???

Lee

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Being 2 years old they might or might not be ready for breeding, but they should be rather ok with being aquatic. You should be able to treat them like adults even if they don´t breed. Of course it depends on the size, how big are they? Note that they don´t need to be aquatic...but will probably get to it without problems.

Lee31

Reaction score
They are marmoratus marbled's and they are 75mm to 100mm, they have been examine by an expert who said they have 1 more year to go, but are happy in peat, under moss eating small crickets, worms, etc. compared to my adult marbled's they look like children...maybe best to give them 1 more year on land???

Lee

SETc6

Reaction score
Do you have pics? I'm trying to decide on a species to raise.

Are they easy to take care of?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1