Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquatic or terrestrial?

Aquatic or terrestrial? Whats your preference?

• Entirely aquatic

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Mostly aquatic

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • Terrestrial

Votes: 39 29.1%
  • Entirely terrestrial

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

jbherpin

Reaction score
My vote went to "Terrestrial". I think many aquatic species are very beautiful, but I prefer the look of a well put together woodland habitat. Plus, in my opinion, terrestrial tanks are easier to maintain cleanliness. Nice topic, I wonder what the end result (average community vote) will be!

-jbherpin-

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I have to say mostly aquatic here. Aquatic species are far more visible and easier to feed than most terrestrial species. As far as maintence, once an aquatic tank is properly setup it takes very minimal effort to keep it that way. I'll give design possibilties to the terrestrial side but there are still some nice planting options for aquatics if your willing to put forth the effort.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
It doesnt bother me which I choose, its all about the species I want to own/breed and what their requirments need to be. I do prefer Mostly aquatic setups because of the display options and generally my newts are often more social when people come up to the glass , but when on land they are skidish.

merk199

Reaction score
I said mostly aquatic, because I have aquariums in the blood. Plus it is easier to see my newts. Currently I have 2 species in the terrestrial phase and I love them but I am keeping them in sterilite containers, with window screen so they aren't always visible. When I open up the enclosures my T marms just sit and stare at me waiting for dinner to descend. My c ensicauda were skittish at first but having them for about 6 months they usually come running out for dinner as well. They only disappear if I decide to mist which is only once every 2 weeks or so.

But I have about 40 larvae about to emerge from the water and go terrestrial in the next six weeks or so. I am excited about that because the daily water changes of 4 different bins is becoming a little tedious. Worth it but I need a break, and the terrestrial form will require less hands on time.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I love aquatic setups. They are my favorite. Aquatic newts are by far my favorite caudates to keep. I also keep some terrestrial species though.

freves

Reaction score
Isn't there already a poll similar to this one? In any case I prefer terrestrial species I suppose.
Chip

Melmo

Reaction score
I chose terrestrial. Sure, some of the salamanders aren't too friendly, but eventually you can teach them stuff. Just after a bit, my juvenile Ambystoma Opacum started recogonizing my hand as a sign of food coming (No, he doesn't think my finger if food, he walks up to it and looks around for food). Terrestrial tanks are pretty fun to make too.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I thought mostly aquatic or entirely aquatic would have the most votes because there are a ton of axolotl keepers and aquatic newt keepers.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was another poll very similar to this one, but I'm too lazy to dig out the link. Nothing wrong with another poll I suppose.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Mostly aquatic. I like aquatic species cause because of observations (they are more active) and aquatic plants, but i like to see newts leaving water time by time, but also woodland tanks look lovely for me.
Partly-water, partly-terrestial living is a thing for which i love Desmognathus (instead of their beauty) - salamanders hunting in water and out of it must be lovely!

Nathan

Reaction score
I like both groups, but aquatics are certainly more fun to keep due to their greater visibility and activity.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
There was another poll very similar to this one, but I'm too lazy to dig out the link. Nothing wrong with another poll I suppose.

And here I thought I had a horrible case of deja vu...;)

I like them all. I like the different challenges of keeping all types of caudates.

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
i like partially aquatic. i like watching animals move around between water and land.

what the heck, this OP stole my name! :lol:

Niels D

Reaction score
Terrestrial, but my gf would choose aquatic. That's why we have both.

I love the larger species, so that's why I'm going for terrestrial. D. tenebrosus is my favourite.

newtonia

Reaction score
Aquatic - I have 2 fish tanks and 2 newt tanks, and yes, I spend a lot of my weekends prepping/carrying buckets of water around, but I find watching swimming/floating creatures very soothing (as do my cats)-

AngieD

Reaction score
I generally keep aquatic species more, and find them lower maintenance

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!