Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

All about Fans!

Microterror

Reaction score
So I recently rescued 2 adorable axolotols and I’m ready to set up they’re new tank but I can’t find any good information on fans! I’m personally using a 20 long. Noise is a big concern for me as I will have the tank in the same room as my bird and she will get louder to match the room volume (drama queen). Another important consideration is how sleek it is, I am capable of diy-ing something but I would much rather buy a reliable fan that looks nice and professional. In this 20 long the temperature will need to drop roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. I’m up for all suggestions! I’ve been looking at the ipettite but I can’t find any reviews so if you’ve used it please let me know your experience.

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
So I recently rescued 2 adorable axolotols and I’m ready to set up they’re new tank but I can’t find any good information on fans! I’m personally using a 20 long. Noise is a big concern for me as I will have the tank in the same room as my bird and she will get louder to match the room volume (drama queen). Another important consideration is how sleek it is, I am capable of diy-ing something but I would much rather buy a reliable fan that looks nice and professional. In this 20 long the temperature will need to drop roughly 4 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer. I’m up for all suggestions! I’ve been looking at the ipettite but I can’t find any reviews so if you’ve used it please let me know your experience.

That depends on what the ambient temperature is. Dropping 4 degrees from 70 to 66 degrees is easier in a room that is 75 degrees than it is in an 80 degrees. What is your tank temperature right now, the target temperature, and your ambient (room) temperature?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
+1 to above.
I got my fan from ebay. It's only a cheap one, the brand is Boyu. I've never had an issue, until it fell into the water and now makes a really loud sound for a minute if bumped lol. It's fairly sleek, but you can get much nicer ones.
For me summer water temps were at least 25 degrees, which would drop to about 20 with the fan only. In winter the room sits just under 20, so with a fan is around 15 degrees.

kcoscia

Reaction score
I'm pretty anti-fan. I don't think they do enough in the summers of Massachusetts.
However, like its been said, if your ambient tank water temp is 69-71, a fan may work for you.
I have one of these, 3 fan.

Microterror

Reaction score
So I ordered the fan you suggested and its quiet and kinda perfect but it doesn't attach to a rimmed tank :( I found a reef cooling fan at one of the local aquarium shops so I'm going to test that out before I alter the tank to accommodate the fan.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh no! If the other one works better hopefully you can return or resell it :( I don't have rims on any of my tanks so didn't even think of it!

Microterror

Reaction score
It's all good, the other one was too loud so I improvised with the one I ordered.

Attachments

• 20180821_124639.jpg
    20180821_124639.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 189
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!