Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much to feed babies?

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
How much BBS should I feed baby axies - newly hatched or a few weeks old?
Should it be enough to see the orange in the water, or is this too much?

I've been struggling to feed my babies correctly. At first I didn't have enough BBS (de-casulated eggs just didn't hatch well for me). Now I have a new batch of shrimp eggs and can hatch BBS in abundance, but it seems only two out of several axie babies are actually eating it.
Only two have orange stomachs, and are stong and active. The others don't seem to eat, or are still weak.

How much is too much?
I suspect I am putting too much into their water, but no matter how much I use it seems only the two axies want to eat much.
At the moment I put in rinsed BBS and leave them for a couple of hours, then change the water so as not to foul it.

Do they need to be fed several times a day in small amounts, or just once a day?

xxianxx

Reaction score
How much BBS should I feed baby axies - newly hatched or a few weeks old? Should it be enough to see the orange in the water, or is this too much?
Do they need to be fed several times a day in small amounts, or just once a day?

If you have hatchlings who are not feeding i would be inclined to up the volume of food, if you add some light aeration it will help keep the food moving and encourage them to feed. If I was using bbs i would clean and feed twice a day, though some people would recommend once a day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1