Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl colours

T

tracy

I've just got my first axolotl.
kiss.gif
he/she (sex is not known just yet)only between 8 and 10cms long and soo cute wish i had got one earlier!! his/her name is sergeant (sargt)this is to do with colour. and thats is my question really sargt is green not a bright green but more a camo green (darkish) is this a natural colour or not?

K

karrie

Yes it is an wild type they come in all shades would love to see a pic!

T

tracy

have taken a couple pic's of sargt. such a poser making sure i get his best side.
smile7.gif
famous.gif

S

sarah

He's beautiful,but if I were you I'd take the gravel out of the tank,just in case.

ryan

Reaction score
I'm worried about gravel with my mudpuppy too. I hand feed him so I don't have to worry abut it as much.

T

tracy

I hand feed him so that he doesn't eat the stones and i have a larger flat rock in the corner where im training him to eat his food. he's a fast learner which is fun.and i've had him one week and one day not that im being too exact about the time hehe.
happy.gif

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Tracey, just to let you know even with handfeeding your axolotl will snuffle round the gravel, usually at night (as they tend to "hunt" for food during the night while we sleep) and will swallow some.

We have four axies that were on small gravel up to 1cm size as well as those round glass pebbles you can get) They've been pooing out the stuff over the last 12-15months (thanfully no more glass pebbles). Our axies were lucky but it can block them up pretty bad and at worst cause a prolapse.

K

katlynn

Beautiful axolotl!!! I'm getting one for the first time too!!! I think I'm going to name it Spike. I love their gills!! They are so SPIKEY!! ( Wink wink).
lol.gif

T

tracy

his are soo fluffy and he is getting use to me touching him i just stroke his side or top of his head just to let him know im not going to hurt him. but i have gone with the suggested sand in place of small stones after thinking about it and wanting the best for him.

kapo

Reaction score
You should avoid handling/stroking your axie unless absolutely necessary as the oils and stuff from our hands can damage their slimecoat and delicate skin.

T

tracy

gravel is now gone and have layer of sand looks soooo much better, wish had done it first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1