Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: The Natural Aquarium Handbook (Scheurmann)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The Natural Aquarium Handbook
(2000 Barron's reprint of the 1985 German Das GU Aquarienbuch)
Ines Scheurmann
159 Pages

This book was written with fish in mind, however it is a pretty solid source on freshwater aquaria for the beginner. It starts out with the raw basics like:

Tank Math, how to calculate what size and type of tank you need.
Water Chemistry, from dissolved gasses right into tap water treatment.
Aquarium equipment, peripherals and how to use them.
Initial set up, including substrates and cycling.
Aquarium Plants, this section is outstanding for the beginner aquaculturist!
Foods, the same old stuff, rehashed yet again, which is good because most folks never bother to learn it.

The rest of the book is dedicated to fish, but it is an interesting read filled with wonderful photographs.

For around 10.00 USD this book is a good addition to anyone's pet book library. I would not buy it unless you are new to the aquarium hobby, or can find it very cheaply.

I highly recommend the sections on water chemistry and plants.

The rest of the book is pretty basic, but interesting.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1