Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is everything in order?

Crysta

Reaction score
Firsty i'd like a little help with identification
I'd like to know what variety of sal this is.

crysta-albums-other-various-picture12585-dscf3524.jpg

as i'm stuck between Salamandra corsica or S.S.Salamandra

I got him from a friend of mine who runs a shop - who rescued him/her from a disreputable shop (which thankfully is being forced to shut down) along with an abundance of reptiles ect. he said he isn't to knowledgeable on slimey things to he'd prefer if I kept him.

crysta-albums-other-various-picture12586-dscf3526.jpg

Anyway that disreputable shop was keeping him on heat, now at this time of year that's not necessary as it's around 17C anyway. I'm changing the substrate - as it's mostly soil and moss to bark some soil and moss. He is interested in food so I don't foresee any problems there. I have no Idea what these plants are, any help there?
Also is everything else in order, any problems that anyone can see?
I just want to make sure the environment is perfectly comfortable.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some young juveniles , and these like lots of cover. I have some cork bark, tiles , leaves and so on. I keep their home below 20 degrees and make sure they have moist and dry areas to hide . I rarely see them out day time, I have to wait until evening when its been dark to catch site of them out prowling for food. The minute they see too much movement they sprint for cover.

corientalis

Reaction score
It looks like a nice big enclosure for it, maybe some objects are missing which the animal can hide under. Is the substrate moist enough (maybe yes but I've never used that kind so I can't decide)? Wouldn't the wooden wall of the terrarium start to rot?

Crysta

Reaction score
the substrate was changed as soon as I had the chance, it's nice and moist but the hygrometer is reading not too humid, and he now has a cork hide.

it was nasty substrate, the moss wasn't soaking up any water, and it was mostly soil, so it's mostly bark now, some top soil and bits of sphagnum moss. the tank's at 17C in the day so it's probably around 12C now (00:58)

when I got him the soil was mostly dry (probably because the initial shop was keeping him with a heater!!) But he seems to be digging nicely now and has been chasing a few crickets.

I'm guessing it would, he's being switched to a glass viv as soon as I can find the right size spare (most of mine are tall) - Trying to find one around the same size as this wooden one, as I'm guessing he's spent all his life there so far, and I don't want to rob him of space.

So i'll get him another hide tomorrow then, thanks guys.

Any ideas on what plants they are, or what variety he/she is?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!