Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another new Tylototriton from Hunan, Tylototriton (Yaotriton) liuyangensis

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Daode YANG, Jianping JIANG, Youhui SHEN, and Dongbo FEI, 2014. A New Species of the Genus Tylototriton (Urodela: Salamandridae) from Northeastern Hunan Province, China. Asian Herpetological Research, 5(1): 1-11.

Abstract​
We describe a new species from the family Salamandridae from northeastern Hunan Province of China based on morphological and molecular genetic evidences. The new species, Tylototriton liuyangensis, is a member of the T. asperrimus group, and shares a number of similarities with T. wenxianensis and T. broadoridgus. The dorsal surface of the new Tylototriton species is completely black, with nodule-like warts distributed evenly along the lateral margin of dorsal body, and there is no transverse striae between the warts. There are several diagnostic characters of the new species that differ from those of T. wenxianensis and T. broadoridgus as follows: (1) the interorbital space (IOS) is comparatively wide; (2) there is a bony ridge present on the dorsal head surface, running along the upper eyelids; (3) the space between axilla and groin (AGS) is comparatively large, with the mean male AGS approximately equal to 50% of the snout-vent length (SVL) and the mean female AGS being 53% of SVL; and (4) there is a small genital armature on the anterior angle of labial folds present inside the anal fissure of adult males during the breeding season. The result from the molecular phylogenetic analysis of the genus Tylototriton (including the type specimen of the new species) based on the complete DNA sequence of the mitochondrial ND2 gene (1035 bp) indicated that the new species was similar to T. wenxianensis, T.dabienicus, and T.broadoridgus, but formed an independent clade. This result was consistent with the morphological analysis above, supporting that the Liuyang Population represented a distinct species.
What more to say? The paper is in English, is available free, and includes a lot of data and images:
ahr

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I wonder if this is what my animals are...time to get some measurements! Interesting that they seem to produce an egg mass rather than individual eggs or small clumps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1