The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

Old 4th November 2016   #1
Stephy
(stephycarter09)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: stephycarter09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know about Bettas? Strange white growth, not fuzzy.

Click the image to open in full size.

This white lump popped up on my betta at the beginning of the month and has continued to grow in size. I've taken everything out of his tank and made it a quarantine tank. Filtered 2.5 with a heater. First picture is when I first saw it, last two are now. He's eating, and swimming fine. Doesn't even seem to bother him. The water is testing out perfect (I'm not sure why the white balance is so off in the last two pictures, his water is clear and not discolored). I've worked in a petcare department for 8 years and I've never seen this. I've had dozens of bettas and never had this happen. What could it be?

stephycarter09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016   #2
Nioa

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nioa has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Anyone know about Bettas? Strange white growth, not fuzzy.

Could it be an abscess? I'm not too experienced with fish, so maybe this forum topic will help: Help: White Bump On Goldfish Body - 129602

Nioa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016   #3
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I wondered about Lymphocytosis. My betta had this and recovered with antibiotics and a small hospital tank with 100% water changed every other day, but several months later relapsed and did not respond to these treatments the second time around. But it may be worth researching Lymphocytosis online and seeing if you think your fishy may have this, and how others have combated it.

Best of luck!

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016   #4
Stephy
(stephycarter09)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: stephycarter09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank ya'll!

stephycarter09 is offline   Reply With Quote