Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs or sick??

Emilydonaghy

Reaction score
So I discovered what appears to be white slime in my tank today, and my tank was super cloudy (both of which weren't the case yesterday) the slime has black pieces in it, but I have black sand in my tank. I'm not sure what to think (new axolotl owner). I bought the axolotls at the same time and age, and one is almost twice the size of the other. Now the bigger one is eating like a beast. She's eating probably three times what she usually is. I'm wondering if they're sick, and I should change the water in the tank which is very cloudy, or if I should be concerned about changing the water if there are eggs. I'm attaching pictures. If anybody could help that would be great!!! I'm a very worried momma :(

There's a lot more of these slime balls, just took a picture of a few. (If the pictures don't show let me know, I'm new to the forum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 190

Bette

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it kinda looks like an old bit of food(pellet?)that has fungus growing on it.
I think you should do a water change. Do you have a turkey baster to use for spot cleaning?

Bette

Reaction score
I used a gravel cleaner to clean the tank a few days ago, their ammonia was a little high, thats why I found it weird.

Yes, that is strange. You did say that you are feeding alot and often, right? Are you feeding pellets? Feeding alot of pellets can quickly foul the water. Have you tried using a feeding jar, or feeding dish?
I have been feeding mine more worms for better nutrition and water quality.
What kind of filter are you running?

Emilydonaghy

Reaction score
I have been feeding them pellets, usually every day. I feed them usually two or three apiece. That's about what the big one eats, the other just nibbles. I'm usually pretty good about doing water changes every week, since the water does get pretty mucky. I've been looking into getting them a dish, but I've been concerned about them finding the food. It's a 55 gallon tank and neither is over an inch and a half, so I don't know if they'll learn to find a dish. I have an aqua top IFS20, with a rotatable bar pointed toward the wall, but it is a really big tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1