Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T marmoratus ready to breed?

otolith

Reaction score
I've had this group of T. marmoratus for about 2 years now. This is their 2nd winter and they are showing very clear signs of maturing. They have been kept terrestrially in a naturalistic set up, summer high is about 68F and the lowest the basement got this winter is about 57F. I was hoping to get them colder for a few weeks but that doesn't look to be possible this year. The male is beginning to crest up and the females are huge and I am considering moving them to an aquatic setup for breeding. I am a bit hesitant since they did not get a real cold winter period but we are getting unseasonably warm weather and I am worried I'll lose my window if they are conditioned for laying now. All of my other crested newts are laying eggs right now so I am thinking it is worth a try.

I would love some feedback from some more experienced keepers. Here are a few pictures, most of the females are around 4.5"-5" long, the male is a bit smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 536

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I don't keep marms but they look ready to me. I would try breeding them, if they don't lay then I guess you'll have to try next spring.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
At 2 years and seeing your males swollen cloaca there's no doubt its time to add water. Go for it.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I would definitely try breed them if I were you, they look ready - possibly not fully grown but definitely ready to breed.
Good luck!

Stuart

Alex M

Reaction score
They are definitely ready to go. Got 3 pairs inside and 3 pairs outside myself, and all are in the water, courting and laying - the indoor specimens have already laid over 100 eggs so far. Best of luck with them.

otolith

Reaction score
Glad I transferred them into an aquatic setup! They've been aquatic for less than a week and I found at least a dozen eggs this afternoon! Hoping the male sealed the deal and the eggs develop.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I'm now expecting more pics of the adults and enclosure cause thats great lol

otolith

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of the group I snapped today. Counted 20 eggs, can't tell if they're good or not yet. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 427

otolith

Reaction score
I finally caught the male doing the courtship display. Turns out they actively display at night. Also turns out the eggs are viable! It looks like all 4 females are laying and using pretty much any available surface except for the laying strips.

Glad to have the forum back!

otolith

Reaction score
The group is still laying, probably upwards of 350 eggs by now. The male is looking even more impressive now and is quite the ladies man; constantly tail fanning. I've sent a few lots to friends and I have kept ~60 larvae. They are growing slowly but surely, they are the slowest growing Triturus I've raised yet. The T. arntzeni that hatched around the same time are a full 5mm longer. Here are a few blurry pictures of the largest. They are feeding on sweepings from a vernal pool near my work, primarily daphnia, cyclops and copepods. Fingers crossed they put enough size on to eat blackworms before it dries up!

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 374

otolith

Reaction score
They are finally winding down for the season. I keep finding new eggs every few days but they are all duds at this point. The group was incredibly prolific, maybe 800 eggs between 3 females, about 1/3 were viable. A good number were sent to friends who have had good luck as well. Now that breeding is over any tips on how to transition the adults to a terrestrial set up? I know a lot of people keep them aquatic year round but one of the females is definitely losing her aquatic appearance (tail rounding out, skin becoming granular again). I sit in the camp that the captive care of biphasic newts should generally mirror their natural behavior.

The oldest larvae have started morphing, again any tips on set ups and feeding for morphs? I I have read the care sheets and scanned old threads and have experience with Lissotriton morphs so I am not totally clue less.Additional help is welcome though, especially housing suggestions. Here are a few pictures of some fat little larvae. Close to 20 will be morphing in the next couple of weeks with another 30 following them sometime after.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 365

sinomoyyhi89

Reaction score
This is my first year raising T. marmoratus larvae as well. I've already had several morph and I've been placing them in a woodland setup of dirt, moss, and bark seeded with numerous springtails, isopods, white worms and earthworms. I check them everyday and they seem to be growing. My plan is once they get slightly bigger to try the mass tub feeding that Jen Macke illustrated on this site elsewhere. Hope that helps and happy morphing!

otolith

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! So far have a white worm culture going and plenty of wood lice and apring tails. It begins...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 377

Momcicle

Reaction score
I have a group that is a year old- all around 4 inches. I want to move them in to a land/water set up. I would love some guidance on how you set yours up. I am hesitant since this is the first time transitioning to water. Can you please give a description of your set up (depth of water, ratio of land to water)?

otolith

Reaction score
I have a group that is a year old- all around 4 inches. I want to move them in to a land/water set up. I would love some guidance on how you set yours up. I am hesitant since this is the first time transitioning to water. Can you please give a description of your set up (depth of water, ratio of land to water)?

I have a 3.3 group in a 50 gallon tank, water depth is about 12". It is heavily planted with anacharis, java moss with lots of driftwood pieces and a sponge filter. After breeding I will lower the water level so that the wood breaks the surface and I'll remove any animals that leave the water. This last year only one female left the water. The rest of the group stayed aquatic and all are currently breeding again. They have only been laying for maybe 3 weeks and I'm already looking for homes for surplus eggs.

Transitioning to water can be tricky with some species but I've never had issues with marmoratus. I basically just reverse the aquatic process; put the animals in a shallow, densely planted set up and then gradually raise the water level as they adapt and feed aquatically. At 4" they may be ready. If you have cooled them and you have males that appear to be maturing it may be worth it. I waited until the juveniles' second winter before attempting it.

Here are a few updated pictures of the group taken this week.

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 372
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!