Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FireBellied Newts Not Eating?

Ronathan

Reaction score
I just got 4 juvenile firebellies on Wednesday, which means that they last ate on Tuesday. They range in sizes from 1 inch to about 1.75-1.8 inches. I got meal worms from my local specialty pet store (For frogs, salamanders, lizards, exotic fish etc.) because they are pretty small. I've tried hand feeding them, holding them while feeding them, and putting the food in their terrarium in different ways. All with whole meal worms and meal worms cut in half. Every time I try to feed them, they either turn away or walk past the food. Please tell me if you think they don't like mealworms or if they might just not be hungry. Thanks!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Hi! Sounds like you are beginning the first step into our hobby! Sadly, most Chinese fire-belly newts are mass exported from China, and have loads of illnesses and other problems. Night-crawlers (Found in the fishing section of Wal-Mart) make a great food alternative for the newts. The meal-worms aren't very nutritious, they are hard to digest, and if they aren't alive, they will not eat them. Here is the care-sheet for the newts: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly and the food guide: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates And you should also make sure that their tank is properly cycled, and if you don't know how to do so, here is the article on that: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Ronathan

Reaction score
Hi! Sounds like you are beginning the first step into our hobby! Sadly, most Chinese fire-belly newts are mass exported from China, and have loads of illnesses and other problems. Night-crawlers (Found in the fishing section of Wal-Mart) make a great food alternative for the newts. The meal-worms aren't very nutritious, they are hard to digest, and if they aren't alive, they will not eat them. Here is the care-sheet for the newts: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly and the food guide: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates And you should also make sure that their tank is properly cycled, and if you don't know how to do so, here is the article on that: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Thanks for the info, but they aren't Chinese firebellies, they're Cynops cyanurus, and I keep the tank semi aquatic with moss, a water dish that takes up most the tank, and a bunch of hiding spots for them. I clean out their water dish every day and fill it with bottled water. Occasionally I mist down the moss to keep it moist for them too. The mealworms are live, but I will go get some earthworms to see if the mealworms are the problem. Thanks!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
It would be helpful if you could post some pics of the newts and their set up, its much easier to give advice if we can see how they are being kept.
Have a read of these links for now if you haven't already, I know the first one relates to Chinese firebellies, but its just as relevant to H. cyanurus.
Once we can see what's what and perfect their tank, we'll get them eating like champs I'm sure. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_cyanurus.shtml

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1