Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pics of Squishy with new sand in her tank

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Here are some more pictures of Squishy, this is her same old tank but now she has purple sand in the bottom (ooh ahh) she seems to have a really great time digging through the sand and inhaling it to spit it back out (and notice the tank is almost back to its natural color, in the pictures it looks clear, in real life its only slightly purple now)

001.jpg

002.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

010.jpg

any suggestions on what I can do better or what looks ok is always welcome. Thanks for takin the time to view my thread!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd suggest more hiding spaces, and making sure none of your ornaments are sharp. Even the slightest sharp edge can injure an axolotl's delicate skin.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Love your tank, the colour of the sand is great! I'm sure squishy is very happy and will be happier still with a little more hidey holes! The dark sand must make squishy stand out really well, Kerry.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I go with Kaysie on the more hiding spaces bit, they do like plenty. I got my husband to break up a large terracotta plant pot and made 4 hides of different shapes out of 1 pot which only cost me £1....result!.. I found it very easy to sand down any rough/sharp edges on the pot.

I would also suggest you buy your axolotl some sunglasses lol.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Well, don't all cheer me at once..It is Calcium sand and Kaysie has just informed me that it will alter my water quality, so yet again next time at the pet store, Squish will be getting yet another new floor for her tank. but thanks for all the compliments I really enjoy the tank and i think Squishy does too

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Wait, stop! Just because it alters your water quality does not mean that it creates problems! Don't run off to the store yet. What is exactly the problem, then?

-Eva

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Actually, I don't know. I had posted on someone else's thread that I had accidentally turned Squish's water purple but it was ok because it is Calcium sand and non toxic coloring, then Kaysie posted back that Calci-sand shouldn't be used in aquariums, I asked why and she said it alters water quality.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In a nutshell, it will make your water alkaline. This isn't necessarily a problem, but if you have too much calcium dissolve in the water, it could make the pH go up (into the basic range).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1