"Snot Otter" Sperm to Save Giant Salamander?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
NatGeo Online: "Snot Otter" Sperm to Save Giant Salamander?

Christine Dell'Amore
National Geographic News
Published August 20, 2010

It may be a shot in the dark, but freezing sperm is one of the last chances to save the hellbender, North America's biggest salamander, conservationists say.

Read the full article here!

Good find,
I have a friend who works at the St. Louis Zoo and they are working on Hellbenders. I hope that Oocyte preservation can catch up with sperm preservation. I wish these guys would breed a little better in captivity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back