Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

albino/wild type crossing?

salamanderguy

Reaction score
hi i have a wild type axolotl and was wondering what the chances of me getting another wild colour if i bred her with an albino? or a Leucistic axolotl? or if their was anychance of getting a wild colour out of two albinos?

Jake

Reaction score
http://axolotl.org/genetics.htm

That link will explain everything. Basically, wild-type is the dominant gene and can carry any of the others. If you cross two albinos, you'll get an assortment of albinos. If you cross an albino with a wild-type and the wild-type is carrying the albino gene you'll get wilds and albino offspring. If you cross it with a leucistic the same rule applies. If you have a wild type that doesn't carry the same gene that the other expresses then you'll more than likely end up with 100% wild offspring and a good percentage of them will be heterozygous for the other parent's gene.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
By breeding with a wildtype (phenotype) you can get almost everything out of it, depending on its genes as Jake said. You can even get a leucistic when crossing with an albino, by breeding two wildtypes you can get wildtypes, albinos, leucistics, melanoids and so on - and you can get only wildtypes. You can not tell the offspring as long as you do not know the parents genetics.

The only thing for sure is that you will only get albinos by breeding two albinos, leucistics by breeding two leucistics, melanoids by breeding two melanoids and so on. Have a look at the genetics page as Jake suggested, you can't specifically breed without understanding the genetic things.

Genome42

Reaction score
albinos by breeding two albinos, leucistics by breeding two leucistics, melanoids by breeding two melanoids

I guess you mean this but just clarify that you can only guarantee an albino by breeding two albinos but it is possible to get an albino from two none albino parents if both carry one recessive albino allele and so on for the other recessive colour morphs i.e. leutisitic and melanoid

I reply to your original question two albinos could not give a wild type. The other two breeding combinations (albino x wild type, leutistic X wild type) tris would depend whether your wild type has one recessive albino or leutistic allele which cannot be determined by looking at your axolotl. If you were to breed you would end up with a proportion of wild types and could sell the rest but it is probably easier to buy a wild type!:p

Dash3Echo

Reaction score
Hey salamander guy,
where'd you get your wild type? Crowfoot Petland has Leusistic (i think), possibly albino's right now...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1