Egg type growth on axolotl gill!

flimda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently on my golden axie I noticed what looks exactly like a transparent fish egg on the end of one of it's gills. It hasnt eaten in about a week now which i originally attributed to rapidly changing temperatures but my albino axolotl in another tank setup is now eating a healthy amount after being kept at a consistently low temperature. I only just noticed the egg thing on the end of the gill due to it being transparent but this is definitely a cause for concern! The growth itself is totally round and see through and about 5mm wide. I haven't heard of anything like this before it is really worrying me as I have had this axolotl for 7 years now, it's at least 10 years old and I haven't seen it in such a poor state before, although it did lose an arm half a year ago :(

Do you have a picture? It sounds like a very odd thing if it is transparent and could be some sort of swelling, but I cannot be sure. Are you sure its a growth from the gills and not something that's just stuck to the gills?

Unfortunately I don't have a camera good enough to pick up the growth on the end of the gill. It is certainly a growth on the gill and not anything else. My axolotl is eating again on a a semi regular basis but the growth won't go away. I know it's difficult to imagine but the growth is a spherical and transparent almost newt-egg like shape and size on the gill. I feed him a mix of frozen bloodworms, earthworms and meat and he has never been as thin as he is now. Due to a sudden funeral I will be leaving town shortly and he will be in the care of someone totally new to axolotls.
These are desperate times for me and the axolotl and I really would appreciate any info on what is wrong with my axolotl. The only exotic vet in my town doesn't have a clue when it comes to axolotls so that would be a waste of time too. All of axolotl's gills are still at a healthy length, his tank is clean and he doesn't share it with any axolotls or other life forms, just a few simple rocks and plants and a very effective filtration system. I've cared for this axolotl for so long now and he is over 10 years old, losing him right now would be such a loss for me, I hate to see him like this :( He isn't floating around the tank or anything like that, but he looks emaciated and pretty sickly, and leaving him in the hands of a kind hearted but ultimately inexperienced owner I feel that when I leave in a couple of days for a weeks time it shall be the last time i will see the axolotl :(

And as I write that the little fella eats a block of bloodworms the size of his head :cool: Gotta love the hardy little things

i have the same problem! do you know what it is? my axxie is only very young, hes about 22 months old

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back